Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I choose RNA-seq or Microarray for my future experiment?

If I have for example 5 to 10 samples of a few different developmental time periods that I want to compare gene expression, what should be my pick for accuracy? Splicing info is interesting but not a deal breaker.
    Any need for antibodies, viral antigens, innovative diagnostic components and critical assay reagents, please visit here.

Thanks in advance!
    Any need for antibodies, viral antigens, innovative diagnostic components and critical assay reagents, please visit here.

Comment

Depends on your experiment and your situation! Do you have access to RNA-seq and/or microarray in house or will you outsource? Is there a bioinformatics group who can at least do the sequence alignment and read counting part of the analysis for you? Personally I can't see why I'd ever do microarray again because I can get RNA-seq done in house cheaply and easily, there's a pipeline to do the alignment, and I've analysed it before. That's before you consider the benefits of dynamic range, sensitivity etc. OTOH, the benefit of microarray is that you get nice easy CEL files back and the analysis is easy.

Take care of your experimental design... Replicates are important to estimate within-group variance. Don't bother doing paired end seq if you just want to measure gene level expression, single end is cheaper per read and so more cost effective. No need to go above 15-20M reads per sample unless you're really interested in low expressers, spend the money on more reps instead.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses