Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to use a library preparation kit with MiSeq?

Hello everyone.

I am very new to NGS (and to libraries in general) and so I have a few basic questions.

I am planning an experiment in which I will have a number PCR reactions with the intention of introducing single point mutations in the product (PCR products without adapters would be 130bp). Different conditions will be tested, and so I will have 10 different samples of randomly mutated PCR products which I will then sequence using MiSeq. All reactions will use the same amplification primer and template, and so every read would ideally only differ by 1bp.

The first question is whether I need to use a library preparation kit at all? My initial plan was to simply do the mutagenesis-PCR reaction, followed by another PCR round to add indexes, run samples on gel, do gel extraction of my bands, pool the products in equal amounts and proceed with denaturation and dilution. However, I now see the Nextera XT protocol which looks like it adds a lot of steps, and more importantly, doesn't work with PCR products <300 bp. Can I therefore just use an indexing primer kit (does it matter much if it's from Illumina, NEB or anywhere else)?

Secondly, is there a huge advantage of using pair-end instead of single-read in my case?

Thanks!

You will not need a library prep kit. You can add all the required Illumina sequences by PCR (in one round or two rounds). This might give you an idea: https://dnatech.genomecenter.ucdavis...umina-systems/
    Your libraries will have a very low complexity by default. Thus, you will need to sequence your amplicon pool together with PhiX or another complex library.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
    0 responses