Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeqMonk RNAseq QC plot error (>100 exon?)

I've just started exploring SeqMonk, just looking at human total RNA-seq data to check the distribution of different types of RNA.

However, when I run the RNA-seq QC plot option I get the following error:

Percent in exons was >100 for accepted_hits.bam
    I imagine this is systemic of some larger discrepancy in my analysis (or at least I hope so, because this was an rRNA-depleted data-set that SeqMonk is claiming has ~75% of reads in rRNA!), but I can't seem to find what that may be.

The steps up to here basically involved using the iGenome hg19 as a custom genome, importing my accepted hits from TopHat, setting probes from the default running window generator settings and then doing basic read count quantitation.

Have I just done something silly, or is something strange afoot?

OK problem solved! It was something to do with the way that I'd built the custom genome - when I just imported an Ensembl genome via SeqMonk and re-ran the QC the error went away (as did the presence of rRNA mapping reads, thankfully!).

Comment

Did your rRNA-depleted samples actually have rRNA (if SeqMonk was reading your data right) or was that just an artifact?

Comment

I believe that was just an artifact.

I'm not sure exactly what it was about using the custom hg19 genome (I'd just thought that was the sensible choice given that's what I used for my reference with TopHat), but everything now looks as I'd expected it to.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
          Today, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses