SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PubMed: Targeted bisulfite sequencing by solution hybrid selection and massively para Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 07-26-2011 10:30 AM
Enrichment/targeted sequencing using very short tags DNA Sorcerer Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 05-06-2011 04:55 AM
Targeted sequencing ulz_peter 454 Pyrosequencing 1 05-04-2010 05:15 AM
Targeted Sequencing - How are you doing sample prep for your targeted sequencing prj? mike lee Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 01-26-2010 07:00 PM
Evaluation of next generation sequencing platforms for population targeted sequencing div1982 Literature Watch 0 04-23-2009 06:39 AM

Old 08-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
sulicon

Question Cheapest solution for targeted sequencing?

Hi,

We have 500-1000 genomic DNA samples and we are interested in a set of ~20 loci. What's the most affordable way to sequence the 20 loci for all the samples?

Thanks,
Shuli
sulicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
ulz_peter

If it's only 20 Loci I would do PCR and Amplicon sequencing. (Well, depends on the size of the Loci). You could use multipliex identifiers of any length which you incorporate into the amplification primer. With that amount of samples you could also think about a multiplex PCR amplifying 10 or even 20 PCR products in one reaction: that would lead to one PCR per sample targetted sequencing: I don't think anyone can do it cheaper...
ulz_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
rocksd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulicon View Post
Hi,

We have 500-1000 genomic DNA samples and we are interested in a set of ~20 loci. What's the most affordable way to sequence the 20 loci for all the samples?

Thanks,
Shuli
How long (bp) are those loci? If it is short enough, I'd say perform multiplex PCR using primers embedded with nextgen adaptors. In this case, sample prep cost may be significantly lower. You can multiplex many samples to control sequencing cost (sequencing reagents and materials), depending on the size of the loci. But the library prep may be too much a burden if you follow Illumina's gDNA library protocol for 500-1000 samples. On the other hand, if you can generate enough amplicons with Adaptors attached already, it will be a lot less work.

I am dealing with a similar request from another client. If you wish to discuss a little more on this topic, you can send me a personal message.

Rocksd
rocksd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
stanford_genome_tech

Hi all,

Stanford Genome Technology has published a 2nd generation "open source" capture technology using in solution oligonucleotides.

We have an in silico design covering the CCDS genes (most of the exome) release and will have one covering the majority of the genome out soon (under review). You can download oligo sequences and create your own capture assays.

http://oligoexome.stanford.edu

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0021088

More completely new third generation targeting technologies coming soon in a Nature journal. Be on the look out for it shortly.

SGTC sequencing techies
stanford_genome_tech is offline   Reply With Quote