Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEw to Chip-seq and have .bam/.sam/.bam.bai files... then what?

Hello everyone!

I have recently received chunks of data files (.bam/.bam.bai/.sam/fa, etc). After panicking for a moment, I started the "genomeview" program online. I was able to upload my data (.bam.bai file), then an error message popped up. Then I uploaded the .fa file for rat chromosome sequence (rn4). I am trying to annotate this data and I am at a loss. I think the problem is that my core personnel aligned the data to something different than what the Avadis NGS or the UCSC genome browser uses, so none of these programs will give me names of genes to which my samples aligned. HELP!!!

I guess what I am really asking is, how do I annotate my rat ref seq data?

Comment

Hi,
      I first load fasta file (to which reads have been mapped) to any genome viewer (i use Artemis), then i load .bam file. Please ensure that you must have ".bam.bai" file in the same directory where you place ".bam" file. Please let me know if this solves your problem.
      Thanks

Comment

Thank you, but my problem isn't loading the sequence file with the fast file, my problem is annotation. I have everything loaded on the genomeview program, my bam.bai file and the fast file, but other than the actual nucleotide sequence at a given position on a chromosome, I have no idea what genes are present. also, the chromosome info is presented as gi|xxxxxx|ref|NC_xxxxxx. I just dont think I can analyze data not knowing what is where, unless i have eternity to sift through everything o the genome one gene by one gene.

Thank you so much for your help though!

Comment

Annotation

let me ask few questions-
          1. Did you map short reads to reference? Which genome you are trying to annotate? OR are you trying to annotate the reference genome with short read alignment, like we do with RNA-seq data?
          2. Which genome viewer are you using?

Thanks

Comment

answer

Hello!

I'm using a freeware called "genomeview." I am trying to map a chip-seq short read data generated from illumina ga platform. Single, not paired. I had the core personnel align my reads to rat ref seq rn4 (RGSC).

I also tried using avadis ngs and when I upload my bam or sam file to their preloaded ref seq annotated sequences, none of my reads map. It is bizaar as I have over 20 million reads and I don't see any peak. Sigh.

Comment

Annotation is typically provided in GTF files. Get a GTF file for the same built of the reference assembly as the one your core facility aligned your read against, and load it in the browser, alongside your reads. You may need to replace the chromosome name in case your GTF file does not use the same long RefSeq/UCSC ID format as your FASTA files did.

Comment

Ill definitely try that 1st thing in the morning. Where do I get gft files from? I think I've seen them in FTP files from rgsc or pubmed site but not sure if there is one file for all the chromosomes or one file per chr.

Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Oh also, how do I rename chr?

Comment

Dear NGS Newbie,

Chances are that the chromosome name used in the imported sample and the chromosome name used in the Avadis NGS rn4 build are not matching. Typically it is a simple issue of adding aliases to chromosome names in the Annotation Manager in Avadis NGS to get things working. Please contact our support team online or write an email to [email protected] and we will assist you with this.

The Avadis NGS Team
                    www.avadis-ngs.com

Comment

conflict of IDs

Yes, I have also noticed recently that your reference fasta file upon which you try to load the BAM file and the reference used in mapping reads must be same. I mapped short reads against a bacterial genome ( having two chromosomes in the same file) with BWA and samtools. When i loaded the BAM onto the same reference in Artemis nothing was matching. Then after a day troubleshoot i edited the original reference fasta file and formatted the header as mentioned in the BAM file, then everything go smooth.
                      You can see the header in BAM file by-
                      samtools view -H <any>.bam
                      These headers must be equal to those present in the reference file.
                      Thats what i learnt.

Comment

add differing chromosome names as aliases

Originally posted by NGS newbie View Post
                        Oh also, how do I rename chr?
                        There's no need to rename the chromosomes in your file. In Avadis NGS, you can look up what the actual chromosome names in your file are and then add those chromosome names as aliases in the Annotations Manager. We've put together a short video that shows you how to do that:

www.avadis-ngs.com/support/video-tutorials/chromosome

The Avadis NGS team

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses