SNP base calling shuang Bioinformatics 7 10-24-2011 11:50 AM
Samtools SNP calling vidhya Bioinformatics 3 04-07-2011 06:17 AM
What are the SNP calling programs? foxyg Bioinformatics 2 10-08-2010 05:19 AM
MAQ and SNP calling michy Bioinformatics 3 12-11-2009 08:23 AM

Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
elondin

Default SNP calling

Hi all,

I have a question regarding determing if an identified SNP would be a heterozygote. When looking at the total number of reads for a specific base, what percentage of those reads need to differ from the reference to be considered a heterozygote. For example, if a base has 50 a coverage of 50 reads, but 25% of them differ from the reference would this be called as a heterozygote? Essentially, at what proportion of calls that differ from the reference is a homozygote vs. heterozygote?

Any thoughts?
thanks
elondin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
flxlex

The difference from the reference is in a way irrelevant here, I feel. What matters is the amount of reads that show a difference for the organism you sampled. If around 50% shows one base, and the rest shows the other, then the organism you sequenced is a heterozygote at that position, right? How much deviation you can have from 50/50, I don't know, but there will be some spread...
flxlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
husamia

you stated "When looking at the total number of reads for a specific base, what percentage of those reads need to differ from the reference to be considered a heterozygote." I say "When looking at the total number of reads for a specific base, what percentage of those reads need to differ from the reference to be considered a variant?" I have seen cutoff of 15% and 20%. We're only talking about diploid organisms of course. Its a good question, since you have to take into account only true reads.

Last edited by husamia; 01-24-2011 at 07:33 AM.
husamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
krobison

A number of the SNP callers have attempted to answer this question (with the additional complication that your bases may not all be called to the same confidence) using Bayesian principles; if you really want to understand it, you should study those papers.
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote