Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBS and restriction enzyme choice

I'm in the midst of putting together a sequencing project bases around GBS. The manager of my core facility has some concerns about the GBS protocol in terms of the choice of restriction enzyme and the tradeoff with sequencing depth. This is fine, and I'm happy with fewer cut sites since it will still provide thousands of markers.

However he has some different concerns in that he thinks that for GBS a frequent cutter enzyme is needed that generates tags around 500bp long. This is because the GBS protocol does not shear the cut fragments and he thinks that if the fragments are longer the cluster formation on the flow-cell will fail and sequencing yield will be very low.

Would the PCR step for the GBS protocol negate this potential issue?
    Or is this even an issue to worry about with GBS?

Hi kevpar

Our core facility is now beginning to develop a GBS service. What have you learned over the past few years which would help us from making 'learned' mistakes?

Thanks very much

Comment

Hello Kevpar,
      In GBS, if you use frequent cutter it will generate large number of small fragment and most of the sequences are too small to map correctly. But surly it gives you very wide coverage as frequent cutter has much more sites in genome than rare cutter. In other hand, rare cutter increase depth which is required for high quality SNPs but that also produce much larger fragment which are problematic for PCR. This also resulted in uneven distribution of SNPs on genome. Therefor people started using penta cutter like ApeK1 which is a mid way of frequent cutter and rare cutter. And it gives very uniform distribution of SNP because of partial methylation sensitivity of ApeK1 enzyme. Recently, a study using ApeK1 with additional selective bases in primer demonstrated SNP identification with high depth and uniform coverage. You should read the paper of improved GBS (iGBS) before starting with your GBS project- http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0054603

Comment

A little off topic...but i saw a presentation recently that showed ~ 50% of the sequences for each sample are thrown away as various forms of garbage. So keep that in mind.

Comment

Hi
          What program(s) do you like for in silico restriction digest of reference sequences?

Comment

Hello everybody

Hello everybody, my name is Fábio
            I'm hope to be useful to answer all the questions as possible.
            But I think that i will make more asks than answers

Thanks

Comment

I make an essay with Pst1 and some large framents are appearing (recommended is between 100 and 400bp-DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0054603) for chicken genome (Gallus gallus) digested
              I am looking for a program for simulating cleavage entire genome (Gallus gallus), some online tools are available to small pieces as you can see at this web-site: http://molbiol-tools.ca/Restriction_endonuclease.htm

I found a program called "Automate RestrictionMapper", but it works from the command line. I have no tested it yet, because our server are in maintenance and I need this result urgently
              Which genome you'll want to digest?
              Tank you

Fábio

Comment

Originally posted by Laval View Post
                Hello Kevpar,
                In GBS, if you use frequent cutter it will generate large number of small fragment and most of the sequences are too small to map correctly. But surly it gives you very wide coverage as frequent cutter has much more sites in genome than rare cutter. In other hand, rare cutter increase depth which is required for high quality SNPs but that also produce much larger fragment which are problematic for PCR. This also resulted in uneven distribution of SNPs on genome. Therefor people started using penta cutter like ApeK1 which is a mid way of frequent cutter and rare cutter. And it gives very uniform distribution of SNP because of partial methylation sensitivity of ApeK1 enzyme. Recently, a study using ApeK1 with additional selective bases in primer demonstrated SNP identification with high depth and uniform coverage. You should read the paper of improved GBS (iGBS) before starting with your GBS project- http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0054603
                In GBS, how the rare cutter increase depth which is required for high quality SNPs?.

Thanks,
                Jayakumar S

Comment

GBS was designed for low coverage sequencing of samples that have a good reference so that missing data can be imputed. The frequent cutter might produce 10M fragments, and only a random 1M of them will be sequenced in each sample. You could increase from 1M reads to 100M reads and get 10X read depth of each fragment, but most people would rather generate fewer fragments, aiming for 100,000 fragments that can be sequenced to 10X read depth with 1M reads. The best way to do this is to use a less frequent cutter.
                  Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

In GBS protocol number and size of fragments in a library is determined by choice of restriction enzyme and PCR (limiting extension time). Using a rare cutter enzyme will result in less and larger fragments thereby reducing fragment number. Libraries prepared with rare cutter in comparison with frequent cutter when multiplexed and sequenced in same number of lanes will have higher depth for reads. Using a rare cutter such as enzymes with 8 bp recognition site used in RADseq may not produce a robust GBS library. That might be one the reasons why they have chosen a 5 cutter for GBS.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
                      In GBS protocol number and size of fragments in a library is determined by choice of restriction enzyme and PCR (limiting extension time). Using a rare cutter enzyme will result in less and larger fragments thereby reducing fragment number. Libraries prepared with rare cutter in comparison with frequent cutter when multiplexed and sequenced in same number of lanes will have higher depth for reads. Using a rare cutter such as enzymes with 8 bp recognition site used in RADseq may not produce a robust GBS library. That might be one the reasons why they have chosen a 5 cutter for GBS.
                      Hi,
                      Thank you for the clarification.

Jayakumar S

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses