• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple question about Z score and P value in R

Hi
    I have a list and I calculate Z score and P value in R as below
    Z.score=(0.52-mean(data))/sd(data)
    P.value=2*pnorm(-abs(Z.score))
    and P.value is 0.028 (0.52 is in my list "data")

but I reverse data and do it in R as below again:
    Z.score=(1/0.52-mean(1/data))/sd(1/data)
    P.value=2*pnorm(-abs(Z.score))
    and P.value is 1.5e-05

My question is that in my understanding the outcome of these two methods is the same. but now it seems different.
    can you tell me the reason?

I think that by doing the reciprocal transformation, you are drastically changing the distribution shape, hence the drastically different Z scores and p-values.

The reciprocal transformation preserves the order of the values, but drastically alters the distribution of the values.

Comment

Hi blancha
      thank you for your replying. your replying helps me a lot.
      just three further questions
      1. I check mean and sd of my data before and after reciprocal transformation. I found that the sd is the same and mean is reciprocal before and after reciprocal transformation. are they evidence to prove your hypothese?
      2. do I have chance to get the same pvalue after some kinds of handling? here I want both of them are 1.5e-05
      3. can I use 1.5e-05 here to prove my value is significant against the distribution?

Comment

Sorry, I made a small mistake in my previous answer. I wish I could edit it.
        The reciprocal transformation obviously reverses the order of the values.

1. The standard deviation of the distribution of a set of random numbers after the reciprocal transformation is different. Nor is the mean after transformation the reciprocal of the mean before distribution.

2. There are transformations that will not affect the shape of the distribution, such as multiplying each value by a constant or adding or subtracting a constant from each value. There are transformations that will affect the shape of the distributions, such as the logarithmic or the square root transformation, but to a much lesser extent than the reciprocal transformation. The logarithmic transformation is commonly used to make highly skewed distributions less skewed.

3. The reciprocal transformation is the least commonly used. I don't know what your rationale is for picking this transformation, so I can't comment on whether it is appropriate in your case.

I'm not a statistician. I just use statistics in my work so you may get better answers from a statistician.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
        0 responses