Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviewing some of these answers from bioinformatics lab

Just college student taking upper division lab in bioinformatics, not sure if its okay to post questions like this on this forum, if not then I will not post anymore just let me know please!

I am hoping some of the questions below are familiar to you guys

So we did a lab that went over hydrophobicity plotting and we did that by plugging a protein sequence into Protscale (not sure if you have used this website before) and then it would give us a hydrophobicity plot and I just wanted to double check some of my answers. Also we did a Chou-Fasman plot of a different protein sequence (basically the Chou-Fasman algorithm predicts protein secondary structure based on primary sequence). Anyways I only have 3 questions just wanted to double check, they don't necessarily have much to do with understanding these different scales but more about reading different plots because I am not so good at reading plots to be honest.

1) Here is a plot using Kyte-Doolittle and Eisenberg hydrophobicity scale of the same protein sequence. How do they compare in terms of transmembrane predictions?

Here is Kyte-Doolitte scale: https://imgur.com/yqGCEqO

Here is Eisenberg scale: https://imgur.com/QowwqJ1

The obvious thing is that the plots look fairly similar its just that the scaling in Eisenberg is different however you can still tell which regions are hydrophobic and which ones are hydrophilic, thoughts on my answer?

2) We also used the same sequence and inserted it into TMHMM. How does the TMHMM plot compare to the Kyte-Doolitte scale and Eisenberg scale above?

Here is the TMHMM plot by the way: https://imgur.com/vcGrf48

The obvious one is that the TMHMM plot uses probability of trans-membrane helices in proteins instead of free energy y axis in the other graphs. Also it kind of looks at a protein in terms of a cell that include intra and extracellular instead of just peaks. It shows what parts are inside the cell and are hydrophobic and which parts are outside the cell and are hydrophilic, what you think about this answer?

3) For final question I am being asked to use a protein sequence and use the Chou-Fasman alpha-helical predictions. ANYWAYS I am being asked to to analyze the plot of the Chou-Fasman and the question is how many regions exceed a threshold of 1.1?

Here is the Chou-Fasman plot: https://imgur.com/qoIpwdz

My answer is that the only region that exceeds 1.1 is only 1 region and its between positions 120 ish to 145 ish, thoughts?

Thanks guys! Again you don't need to know the stuff I am talking about but mainly just comparing the plots if you are not familiar with this then no problem!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses