Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanger publishes amplification-free Illumina library prep paper

Pretty interesting paper from Sanger. Link here.

Looks like they basically add the flow cell primer portion to the standard Y-adapter to enrich directly on the flow cell, eliminating the PCR step and some bias.

GenomeWeb discusses it a bit here.

Nature Methods
    Published online: 15 March 2009 | doi:10.1038/nmeth.1311

Amplification-free Illumina sequencing-library preparation facilitates improved mapping and assembly of (G+C)-biased genomes

Iwanka Kozarewa1,2, Zemin Ning1,2, Michael A Quail1, Mandy J Sanders1, Matthew Berriman1 & Daniel J Turner1

Abstract

Amplification artifacts introduced during library preparation for the Illumina Genome Analyzer increase the likelihood that an appreciable proportion of these sequences will be duplicates and cause an uneven distribution of read coverage across the targeted sequencing regions. As a consequence, these unfavorable features result in difficulties in genome assembly and variation analysis from the short reads, particularly when the sequences are from genomes with base compositions at the extremes of high or low G+C content. Here we present an amplification-free method of library preparation, in which the cluster amplification step, rather than the PCR, enriches for fully ligated template strands, reducing the incidence of duplicate sequences, improving read mapping and single nucleotide polymorphism calling and aiding de novo assembly. We illustrate this by generating and analyzing DNA sequences from extremely (G+C)-poor (Plasmodium falciparum), (G+C)-neutral (Escherichia coli) and (G+C)-rich (Bordetella pertussis) genomes.

library quantification

I'm curious how necessary it is to use their qPCR method versus a Bioanalyzer for quantification of the no-PCR libraries. Since I'm just getting started with Illumina sequencing I don't have already sequenced libraries hanging around that I can use as qPCR standards, so the barrier to setting up this method is somewhat high. Could I still get useful results with Bioanalyzer quantification of the no-PCR libraries?

Comment

From what I understand, the qPCR step is necessary to make sure you have enough adapters ligated sequence, with both adapters (so it can amplify in the flow cell).

If you just look at total [DNA] I don't think you can tell this, since it will include those sequences with only 1 or no adapters. Maybe you could ask around to find people that have known standards!

Comment

qPCR without library standards

Originally posted by greigite View Post
        I'm curious how necessary it is to use their qPCR method versus a Bioanalyzer for quantification of the no-PCR libraries. Since I'm just getting started with Illumina sequencing I don't have already sequenced libraries hanging around that I can use as qPCR standards, so the barrier to setting up this method is somewhat high. Could I still get useful results with Bioanalyzer quantification of the no-PCR libraries?

One way to do qPCR without library standards is to use the Illumina supplied PhiX library, which is at a known 10nM and should behave the same from qPCR run to run. Once you make dilutions of this library you can use them for multiple quantifications.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses