No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lastz infinite loop problem

Hi there,

I am trying to run a lastz to perform a whole genome alignment between a turtle and the chicken genomes. I have split the fasta filenames of the target (turtle) into 24 files (one per CPU that I have in my server), and run 24 commands like this:

for i in `cat ps1/x00.txt`; do for j in gg4/*.fa; do lastz ps1/$i $j B=0 C=0 E=30 H=0 K=3000 L=3000 M=50 O=400 T=1 Y=9400 > lav/`basename $i .fa`-`basename $j .fa`.lav; done; done;

where x00.txt is the list with 1/24 of all fasta files for the turtle genome. Next is x01.txt, and so on to x23.txt.

Now my problem is that even when the 24 threads finish doing all possible alignments (I get the correct number of output files given all the possible combinations), the lastz processes continue, starting again, i.e., they don't stop when the last combination is reached. So, I guess something's wrong with my command. Then, I try like in the "how-to" tutorial

for i in `cat ps1/x00.txt`; do echo 'for j in gg4/*.fa; do lastz ps1/'$i' $j B=0 C=0 E=30 H=0 K=3000 L=3000 M=50 O=400 T=1 Y=9400 > lav/`basename '$i' .fa`-`basename $j .fa`.lav; done'; done;

But that just echoes the commands....

Where am I wrong?

Cheers,
    champi

Try this:

Code:
    for i in `cat ps1/x00.txt`; do for j in gg4/*.fa; do lastz ps1/[COLOR="Red"]'$i'[/COLOR] $j B=0 C=0 E=30 H=0 K=3000 L=3000 M=50 O=400 T=1 Y=9400 > lav/`basename $i .fa`-`basename $j .fa`.lav; done; done;
    You were missing the two tick marks around your ps1/$i.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am actually trying the following, using a bash script like this:

Code:
      #!/bin/bash

for i in `cat ps1/x00.txt`;
          do for j in gg4/*.fa;
                  do lastz ps1/$i $j B=0 C=0 E=30 H=0 K=3000 L=3000 M=50 O=400 T=1 Y=9400 > lav/`basename $i .fa`-`basename $j .fa`.lav;
                  done;
          done;
      Do you think it will work? Or will it be an infinite loop? I'll try your change if this continues after finishing all combinations, which will take ~20 days...

Cheers

Comment

If it is going to take 20 days then perhaps you should stop now and test the loop first.

Use the same change from my earlier post in your bash loop. It was tested with some dummy files and worked there. I suggest you do the same before launching the real lastz jobs.

Comment

Yep, you're quite right. I should try with some short fasta files first...

Thanks!!

Comment

It doesn't work using '$i'... I get this 60 times, the number of combinations in my test files.

FAILURE: fopen_or_die failed to open "ps1_test/$i" for "rb"

Some bash problem?

Comment

Well, without '$i' it looks OK. It finished correctly with the test files... I'll cross fingers then and try with the real data

Comment

As long as it works...

BTW reason $i is not working is because you are missing the single quote character around the $i (highlighted in red on my #2 comment). I am not sure where that is on a Japanese keyboard but it is on the key next to "return/enter" on a US English keyboard.

Comment

Yep, I saw it. I have a US English keyboard. The thing is that when I put them around the $i I got that error... If I write ps1/$i instead of ps1/'$i', it works. I was also editing the test script using nano on the terminal, so no problems associated with text editors in single quotes...

What's the difference by the way? Using or not the single quotes I mean.

Thank you!

Comment

I tested this on a Mac so perhaps my shell there has some differences. What OS are you using in case someone happens by this thread later.

Comment

I am using a server with Cent OS 6.3

Comment

Tried it on Mac without the single quotes and it does work. Some difference between CentOS and OS X (10.9.x).

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Back ticks in shell scripts are as old as the sticks, and almost as primitive. You can replace any backtick combination, `<statement>` with $(<statement>), with the added bonus that it's nestable.

One thing that might trip you up doing things like this is not having a new line at the end of your text files. Some programs will prduce odd behaviour (like infinitely looping over the file) if a text file doesn't end with a new line.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I have now changed all the backticks to $(command). That issue with newlines could have been a problem. Since I separated the multifasta files of the genomes using a third-party script, it might be that the last sequence lacks the newline at the end...

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses