SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DEXSeq Using Counts File From htseq-count FuzzyCoder Bioinformatics 20 01-03-2016 11:18 PM
Compare RNA counts: HTSeq vs Partek schaffer RNA Sequencing 2 12-02-2011 09:01 AM
htseq-count with warning for every read to represent all of zero counts in output hibachings2013 RNA Sequencing 10 07-15-2011 10:19 AM
help in understanding vinumanikandan General 3 02-09-2011 11:56 PM
DESeq: Read counts vs. BP counts burkard Bioinformatics 0 08-05-2010 11:52 PM

Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
nimmi

Default understanding HTSeq counts

Hi,

I ran HTSeq on a *.sam file using RefSeq genes GTF file. I got counts for each transcript and would like to understand how exactly these counts were generated. Does HTSeq count a read whenever it overlaps with an exon and then takes a sum/average of all these exons across a transcript? Or, is there some other complicated procedure to merge the counts of all the exons in a transcript?

Thank you very much for your response.

Nirmala
nimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
shurjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimmi View Post
Hi,

I ran HTSeq on a *.sam file using RefSeq genes GTF file. I got counts for each transcript and would like to understand how exactly these counts were generated. Does HTSeq count a read whenever it overlaps with an exon and then takes a sum/average of all these exons across a transcript? Or, is there some other complicated procedure to merge the counts of all the exons in a transcript?

Thank you very much for your response.

Nirmala
This is a question I have also been meaning to ask. I doubt that the average would be useful here. I don't know enough Python to read the code, but maybe the authors of the software will have an answer for us here?
shurjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Simon Anders

htseq-count is a rather simple script. First of all, it does not attempt to tease apart isoforms (transcripts), it only counts for genes. So, if a read overlaps with one or more exons of a gene, it is counted for this gene. If it overlaps with exons from more then one gene, it it counted as ambiguous, i.e, for neither of the genes. The precise definition of "overlap" can be adjusted, see the figure at http://www-huber.embl.de/users/ander...doc/count.html .

Simon
Simon Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
ecofriendly

hello,

This is a great forum and I'm learning a lot here. I would really appreciate some help troubleshooting HTSeq.

I've installed everything correctly in the Python window, I think, since I get no error messages. From the command line, I then type:

python -m HTSeq.scripts.count -q <sam.file> <gtf.file>

Since I'm running the script on quiet mode, I get the following output:

no_feature 0
ambiguous 0
too low aQual 0
not aligned 0

I tried writing the countsTable to a file, by adding a "> countsTable.txt" to the end of the above, but this text file contains the exact same info as was printed above.

There's nothing wrong with either the SAM file created by TopHat and Samtools, or with the GTF file, as I've worked with both of them successfully in other programs.

Thanks for any help!!

elena

Last edited by ecofriendly; 11-27-2010 at 07:28 PM.
ecofriendly is offline   Reply With Quote