Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribo-Zero before or after DNase treatment?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at a few different protocols to process RNA samples for RNA sequencing and I am a little confused about the order of some of the steps in the process.

I have a gram-negative bacteria that I have extracted RNA from using an RNeasy midi kit. I would now like to digest the DNA and deplete the 23s/16s, however, I'm not confident with which step should be done first as some protocols I have read perform rRNA removal before DNase treatment. This could be problematic because, from what I have read about rRNA removal from even large amounts of RNA initially (~5 ug), the yield can be quite low (100 -> 300 ng). It seems it would be better to first perform the DNase digestion on the RNA and get a decent yield and then rRNA deplete the sample. Otherwise, if you do it in reverse and perform the DNase digestion last you risk losing a larger percentage of your already low yield.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which step is best to do first?

In which order do people normally do these steps?

DNase first and then rRNA deplete. Ensure that your DNase has been effective before progressing on to library prep.

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for your help.

Comment

One more question, should I precipitate and resuspend the RNA after the DNase digestion but before the rRNA depletion or just rely on the precipitation/resuspension at the end of the rRNA depletion to remove unwanted carry over like EDTA?

Comment

EDTA should not be a problem as some protocols recommend re-suspension of RNA in TE or water. The main problem would be salts (e.g., Mg2+ or guanidinium salts) or organics (e.g., phenol and ethanol). Dependent on the method you used for DNase you volume may be too large for you depletion method thus a precip or concentration would be required. Post DNase we use Zymo Clean&Concentrate RNA 5ug columns, in fact we use the columns for concentrating the fragmented RNA also - it has made a huge difference in yields especially for our bacterial RNAseq libraries.

Comment

Thanks again protist.

I was planning on using invitrogen's amplification grade DNase I for two digestions (unless of course the first digestion is good enough). What I might do, instead of doing a precipitation between digestions, is use the zymo clean & concentrate column to reconcentrate the first digestion and then take the second digestion directly into the ribo-zero degradation and clean it up at the end, as the ribo-zero kit recommends, with the zymo clean and concentrate kit.

Do you see any problems with doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by colin.aibn View Post
              Thanks again protist.

I was planning on using invitrogen's amplification grade DNase I for two digestions (unless of course the first digestion is good enough). What I might do, instead of doing a precipitation between digestions, is use the zymo clean & concentrate column to reconcentrate the first digestion and then take the second digestion directly into the ribo-zero degradation and clean it up at the end, as the ribo-zero kit recommends, with the zymo clean and concentrate kit.

Do you see any problems with doing that?
              Sounds good to me - although you may not need to clean-up in between your two DNase steps.. There are various flavours of Zymo RNA columns - the 5 ug are good for up to 5 ug RNA and you can elute in as little as 6 uL but I also use the 25 ug RNA column variants for larger scale RNA preps. We use Roche/USB recombinant DNase and either phenol extract or pass through RNA column for clean-up. We check our RNA with a quick PCR to check for DNA contamination before proceeding with library prep - we learned the hard way when a set of our bacterial libraries turned out to be more reflective of genome than transcriptome! We have only converted to RiboZero in the last few months and I have to say it is brilliant. Are you using the metabacteria or the Gram negative kit?

Comment

I'm using the gram negative kit. Glad to hear its working well for you.

How many amplicons do you look at in your pcr and what length are they? I was going to run a pcr before DNase treatment and after treatment so I can see how the digestion works using 3 amplicons of about 60 to 70 nt. I'm also making sure that the EDTA conc. from the inactivation step stays between 1.5mM and 2 mM

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses