No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGV - Genome problems

Hello,

I want to use IGV to see my GAIIx data (CASAVA v1.8). I import my bam files(.bam and .bam.bai) in IGV. I have to use a different genome because I can see my data. I imported the genome project 1000genome. I created an alias file (previously seen in a forum). I watch my reads and my coverage. I can not add annotations as refseqgene ().
    Have seen a solution?
    Thank you in advance for your help
    Attached Files

Maybe the website is down (or you don't have internet access)? It may not be on your end at all.

Comment

No, I have Internet access. The .Bam files (one per chromosome generated by CASAVA) should be merged (merge samtools)?

Comment

Hi, that's because we don't have any annotations for a genome with id "b37_CFB". When you created a "custom" genome you can include an annotation file at that time, or you can load them yourself from the file menu, but we only have annotations on our server for assemblies we host.

Is there a reason you can't just select "b37" or "hg19" as your genome? What are the chromosome names like in your BAM file?

Jim

Comment

I tested with your genomes (hg19 and b37) and I get the same results (ie none). My chromosomes name : chr17.fa for example.
          Should we merge the . bam files (one per chromosome) ?

Comment

Originally posted by tonio100680 View Post
            I tested with your genomes (hg19 and b37) and I get the same results (ie none). My chromosomes name : chr17.fa for example.
            Should we merge the . bam files (one per chromosome) ?
            You have to either get the chromosomes names in your .bam file(s) to match those in the hg19 genome annotation, or create an alias file, as described here.

One issue not addressed in the above link is how to find out what your chromosomes are named in your .bam files and what the chromosomes are named in the annotation files. I use samtools to get a list of the chromosomes I have mapped to from the .bam file:

samtools view -H mydata.bam

You apparently already have this information -- so, that is good. Now, if you look at the list of chromosomes for hg18, you will see they look very similar to your names. You just have a ".fa" suffix, whereas hg18 does not. So your alias files would be of the form:

chr17.fa <tab> chr17

where " <tab> " is a single tab character. You need a line for each chromosome of interest. The file should be called "hg18_alias.tab" and needs to be saved in your "genomes" directory.

(BTW, if you happen to be reading this Jim, I always have some difficulty locating this directory. Would be greatly preferred if there were an "import alias table" from the IGV menu that could place the file in the desired location. Also, would be nice if it would do a little sanity checking on the file to make sure the lines are parseable and that the second column names all correspond to names in the current annotation file.)

--
            Phillip

Comment

Yet what I did (hg19_alias.tab):
              chr1.fa chr1
              chr2.fa chr2
              chr3.fa chr3
              chr4.fa chr4
              chr5.fa chr5
              chr6.fa chr6
              chr7.fa chr7
              chr8.fa chr8
              chr9.fa chr9
              chr10.fa chr10
              chr11.fa chr11
              chr12.fa chr12
              chr13.fa chr13
              chr14.fa chr14
              chr15.fa chr15
              chr16.fa chr16
              chr17.fa chr17
              chr18.fa chr18
              chr19.fa chr19
              chr20.fa chr20
              chr21.fa chr21
              chr22.fa chr22
              chrX.fa chrX
              chrY.fa chrY
              chrM.fa chrM

Comment

Hi Tonio,

2 things. First, is that alias file tab delimited (its impossible to tell from the posting of course). Secondly, did you try just loading the BAM without the alias file? The alias is a general solution, but certain "well known" mappings are automatically generated. chr1.fa -> chr1 is one of those, as is 1 -> chr1 and chr1 -> 1.

Loading annotations from our server is a separate issue, you should find some annotations for the human genomes we host, more for hg18 than hg19 (or b37) but not zero. If you are seeing nothing please send us a screenshot of any error or message you get (again with our hosted genome selected, not your custom one). You can post it here or email it to igv-help (at) broadinstitute.org.

Jim

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses