No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• varScan output, all “N” in the REF column

Hi,

I'm beginner of varScan. I'm using Varscan.v2.3.2 to do SNPs calling. Here is what I did according to the on line manual.(I’m using samtool 0.1.18)

samtools mpileup -d8000 -f ./hg19.fa ./mybam.bam | java -jar ./VarScan.v2.3.2.jar mpileup2snp --output-vcf 1 >my.mpileup2snp.vcf

In the result vcf file, there are all “N” in the column 4 (REF column).. Here is the example part of output by “less -S my.mpileup2snp.vcf” command

#CHROM POS ID REF ALT QUAL FILTER INFO FORMAT
    1 131249 . N G . PASS ADP=8;WT=0;HET=
    1 131250 . N G . PASS ADP=8;WT=0;HET=
    1 131251 . N C . PASS ADP=8;WT=0;HET=
    1 131252 . N C . PASS ADP=9;WT=0;HET=
    1 131253 . N C . PASS ADP=9;WT=0;HET=
    1 131254 . N A . PASS ADP=8;WT=0;HET=
    1 131255 . N G . PASS ADP=9;WT=0;HET=
    1 131256 . N C . PASS ADP=8;WT=0;HET=
    1 131257 . N A . PASS ADP=9;WT=0;HET=

Anything I did was wrong? Would you please help?
    Thank you,
    Xin

Usually, the all N's in the pileup output means that something went wrong with that step. So double-check that you are using the same ref file that you used to align, and make sure the chromosome names are the same between your .bam and that reference (like that you don't have weird spaces or characters that might be truncated in the .bam.

If that all checks out, the most likely problem is that the reference fasta index didn't get made correctly. mpileup will try to make this file if it sees there is no such file, but if it can't make it, mpileup will carry on without it, and you'll get all N's, and it won't necessarily warn you that there's a problem.

So run samtools faidx on the reference fasta, see if there are any errors. Then check the fai file itself to see if it looks right.

Comment

Hi swbarnes2,

Thank you so much for your great help. It is very helpful. I did use the different ref files to align and to mpileup, and the chromosome names are different between the two ref files.

The ref file used to align did not work for mpileup. I got the error message of "Floating point exception". I found one post in this forum indicated the something wrong with the ref file header. I could not figure out exactly, so I used the different ref file for mpileup.

Here is the information of the header from the ref file used to align.
      >1 dna:chromosome chromosome:GRCh37:1:1:249250621:1
      >2 dna:chromosome chromosome:GRCh37:2:1:243199373:1
      >3 dna:chromosome chromosome:GRCh37:3:1:198022430:1
      >X dna:chromosome chromosome:GRCh37:X:1:155270560:1
      >Y dna:chromosome chromosome:GRCh37:Y:2649521:59034049:1
      >MT gi|251831106|ref|NC_012920.1| Homo sapiens mitochondrion, complete genome
      >GL000207.1 dna:supercontig supercontig::GL000207.1:1:4262:1
      >GL000226.1 dna:supercontig supercontig::GL000226.1:1:15008:1

Do you have any idea how to fix the "Floating point exception" problem for the mpileup?.

Thank you again for your kind help.

Xin

Comment

I don't know if this will fix your problem, but I'd get rid of those spaces in the names, for starters.

Comment

Agreed, make the reference chromosome names as simple as possible. Make sure the reference that you aligned to is the same you provide for mpileup. If you still encounter the floating point exception, send an e-mail to the SAMtools help mailing list.

Comment

Thank you very much swbarnes2 and dkoboldt. It worked.

I'm sorry for the late reply.

Xin

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses