Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower percentage of properly paired sequence

After alignment using Tophat, I use Samtools to check the flag statistics, I realized that the percentage of properly paired sequence is very lower, around 0.01%. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

I met such problem before. Then I found the average mate distance (based on mapping to genome using BWA) is significanntly bigger that the number I sent to "-r" parameter in Tophat (based on people who constructed the library). Then I increase the "-r" paramter and get more properly paired reads. You can also try it.

Originally posted by sunnyvu View Post
    After alignment using Tophat, I use Samtools to check the flag statistics, I realized that the percentage of properly paired sequence is very lower, around 0.01%. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Auction, I followed your suggestion to increase the parameter. I already increased r to 1000, I got more but just about 0.03%. How about your experiment?

I had a question too. Is it reasonable to increase r to 1000 since the expected fragment is only around 200bp.

Thanks.

Comment

sunnyvu, my idea is to adjust the "-r" according to the real insert size of your dataset. Therefore you may need decrease in your dataset depends on the situation. I think you can use first use BWA to align your reads to the genome because BWA will automatically estimate the insert size. And you could also estimate it from result SAM file.
        Originally posted by sunnyvu View Post
        Auction, I followed your suggestion to increase the parameter. I already increased r to 1000, I got more but just about 0.03%. How about your experiment?

I had a question too. Is it reasonable to increase r to 1000 since the expected fragment is only around 200bp.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses