Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMRTbell library prep for BAC DNA to be run on a Sequel

Hi – just wondering if anyone has done a SMRTbell library prep with BAC DNA? I have to sequence 2 BACs, both approx. 150 kb and I’m having trouble shearing them. I need to make 20 kb libraries but I only have Covaris g-tubes to use for shearing (no access to a Megaruptor unfortunately). The g-tubes are partially successful but I’m still seeing HMW DNA (supercoiled?) DNA bands on my PFG in addition to the 20-40 kb sheared products. I’ve tried linearising them which has helped for one, but the other one has a largely unknown sequence and I haven’t found any restriction enzymes that only cut the vector. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m a new Sequel user/library prep technician, and I’m just discovering the intricacies of the various processes!

Possible solutions:
    Type I topoisomarase treatment before shearing
    Increasing centrifuge speed for g-tube
    Pippin size selection of input sheared DNA

Larger fragments may not be an issue for 20kb libraries as they might be lost during insane number of purifications during library prep and they are less likely to interfere with sequencing.

Comment

Thanks nucacidhunter, I'll check out the topoisomerase solution. I tried increasing the centrifuge speed but the tubes tend to get clogged with the HMW DNA so nothing at all passes through. Size selection is a good idea too - normally I do a Blue Pippin 15 kb cutoff for a 20 kb library which collects everything over 15, but I could try defining the size range and see how that goes, thanks. Yes I know what you mean with the purifications - definitely an insane number! I've tried using Ampure beads on the BAC DNA but the beads just clump and they won't resuspend no matter what I do. thanks for your help!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses