Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the differences between pre-filtering vs PCR duplicates remove mapped reads?

Hello,

Does is a must to preform pre-filtering for color space reads before mapping?

Could it has a big differences in downstream analysis when I mapped the SOLiD color space reads without pre-filtering but removed the PCR duplicates with Picard tool from mapped reads?

Could anyone kindly please share with me your opinion?

Thank you. Have a nice day.

I think you first have to clarify more precisely what you mean by pre-filtering, before we can answer.

Comment

Sorry for the unclear question.

The pre-filtering I refer here is view the reads with tools for example FastQC or Fastx and then trim out the so-called bad bases before mapping the reads.

The problem is the FastQC and Fastx are develop to handle reads generated from Illumina and 454 platform. The color space (csfasta) reads can't be imported directly to these tools.

Some Perl conversation scripts also having problem when convert the csfasta to fastq.

Thanks.

Comment

OK. So, pre-filtering (I would call it quality filtering) is distinct from duplicate removal and you can think of them as independent filtering steps.

For SOLiD specific quality filtering, and looking at the data in a somewhat similar way to FastQC, I have used this toolkit: http://hts.rutgers.edu/filter/
        Then you don't need to convert to FASTQ.

For some types of analysis, you may not need to do quality filtering (e g ChIP-seq, RNA-seq). The bad reads will (in general) simply fail to map. For de novo assembly, or resequencing where variant calling is important, you should do quality filtering.

Comment

Originally posted by kopi-o View Post
          OK. So, pre-filtering (I would call it quality filtering) is distinct from duplicate removal and you can think of them as independent filtering steps.

For SOLiD specific quality filtering, and looking at the data in a somewhat similar way to FastQC, I have used this toolkit: http://hts.rutgers.edu/filter/
          Then you don't need to convert to FASTQ.

For some types of analysis, you may not need to do quality filtering (e g ChIP-seq, RNA-seq). The bad reads will (in general) simply fail to map. For de novo assembly, or resequencing where variant calling is important, you should do quality filtering.
          Thanks, kopi-o.

I'm doing RNA-seq analysis with SOLiD platform. I read people mentioned carry out quality filtering (someone also called it as pre-filtering) before mapping is recommended. However, not much about how to deal with SOLiD csfasta but Illumina and 454 reads.

Thanks for the information. It is useful!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses