Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat output and USCS genome browser question

Hi folk! This is my first post and I'm quite new to next-gen sequencing analysis, so please be kind

Here is some background on my data:
    mRNA from rat heart tissue was isolated and sequenced using a Heliscope from Helicos. I then converted the sms file generated by Helicos to a fasta file using a script in the Helisphere software. From there I used TopHat to look for splice junctions.

From what I can see, everything went fine. The TopHat output includes all the files that I would expect it to include. Now, when I tried to view the .BED and .WIG files using the UCSC genome browser I have problems.

Using the input found here --> http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgGateway I tried to view my files after selecting genome->rat and the most recent assembly. I try to upload my .BED file and received the following error:
    "Error File 'junctions.bed' - Unrecognized format line 2 of custom track: gi|34868215|ref|NW_047355.1|Rn11_WGA1875_4 1124643 1138858 JUNC00000001 2 - 1124643 1138858 255,0,0 2 11,10 0,14205 (note: chrom names are case sensitive)"

I am wondering if I'm even attempting to use the right tool to view the file or if there is some upstream problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam

The pre-built index for rat is built from NCBI contigs. In the first column of the bed file where it should be giving you a chromosome name you're getting the contig instead. You can build your own index from the UCSC fasta files with bowtie-build and it won't have this problem.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses