No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blastn: restrict output to same length as query

Hi,

I would like to filter my blastn output to look at hits in their full length relative to the query, not just including the matching part.

One way, I came up with, is to filter all output to have the same length (or longer) as the query sequence.
    Alternatively it would help me very much, if there was a way to calculate the perc_identity relative to to the whole length of the query and not to just to the match.
    Is there a way, that I can play with word_size to allow mismatches? Then I could just set the word_size to the query length...
    (in my case, just mismatches are important, I would not allow for insertions or deletions anyway)

Does anybody have an idea, how I could solve this, or how I can practically implement the ideas that I had?

Thank you very much!

Well the problem you are facing lies in the core foundation of how the blast algorithms and scoring matrices work. Blast already searches for the most optimal alignment without taking too big of a scoring penalty (mismatches, gaps and extensions thereof).
    In other words, you will have to store the length of the query sequence you are inputting and subtract the length of the actual match.
    That difference in of query not being matched (pre and post blast) could be counted as 'non-identical'. If you start allowing more mismatches and introduce a lower gap penalty you might be able to match a larger portion of the sequence.

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you very much Rhizosis!

I have changed my strategy now to allow more than one match and filter by length afterwards. Since I have multiple query sequences, the files get huge, but I guess there is no way around it...

Comment

No problem.
        To minimize the amount of results in your blast output, you maybe can dynamically set the min. alignment length flag for each blast. Foreach accession entry in the input, measure the length of the hit you would like to obtain and set that length as the flag argument in blast.
        This would mean that you would have to cut up the large input fasta file into single accession entry fasta files.

This is just a thought however and I dont know if its applicable to your situation.

Good luck

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses