SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLAST+ creating custom blast database and using blast+ filtering features deniz Bioinformatics 3 07-07-2019 09:04 AM
BLAST Help BioTalk Bioinformatics 32 12-09-2011 03:10 PM
BLAST+ vs BLASTALL (legacy BLAST) Symphysodon Bioinformatics 4 10-25-2011 03:52 PM
BLAST database error - when changing to new BLAST+ local program biobio Bioinformatics 4 06-15-2011 06:20 AM
blast AndyOD Bioinformatics 3 03-07-2010 06:59 PM

Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
lran2008

Default blast against Repbase using Repeatmasker or blast

Hi all,

I would like to filter out the reads which matches with the repeats from miRNA seq data.

I am planing to use blastn to blast my data against the repeats fasta file from Repbase (http://www.girinst.org/censor/index.php). Will it work?

Because there is a RMBlast on RepeatMasker home page which is a RepeatMasker compatible version of the standard NCBI BLAST suite.
Here is the description for RMBlast:
The primary difference between this distribution and the NCBI distribution is the addition of a new program "rmblastn" for use with RepeatMasker and RepeatModeler.
RMBlast supports RepeatMasker searches by adding a few necessary features to the stock NCBI blastn program. These include:
Support for custom matrices ( without KA-Statistics ).
Support for cross_match-like complexity adjusted scoring. Cross_match is Phil Green's seeded smith-waterman search algorithm.
Support for cross_match-like masklevel filtering.

I just want to find the match between my short reads with the repeat database.So what is the difference?
lran2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
SES

I would not worry about the differences for your purposes because it sounds like you are just interested in filtering reads. For that task, I think it's fine to just create a database and filter your reads based on matches. Make sure to turn off complexity filtering though.
SES is offline   Reply With Quote