SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Normalization of miRNA counts across different samples using miRDeep2 kmherb RNA Sequencing 0 12-06-2012 09:54 AM
GATK to discover Single Nucleotide Variation in mature miRNA from miRNA-Seq Bioinfo83 Bioinformatics 0 01-31-2012 05:11 AM
miRNA-Seq with samples that have different % miRNA to Total RNA... DrDTonge Bioinformatics 0 01-13-2012 12:20 AM
using NGS, what is the best miRNA expression normalization method? Giorgio C Bioinformatics 4 12-07-2011 07:32 AM
miRNA's expression normalization Giorgio C Bioinformatics 0 12-06-2011 11:54 AM

Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
lran2008

Default miRNA qPCR normalization by spike-in miRNA

Hi All,

There are some commonly used reference genes for normalization of miRNA qPCR, like 5S, 18S rRNA and U6 snRNA. But they might not be the right one in a specific tissue. So would spike-in miRNA perform better for normalization?
lran2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
DrOM

The aims for normalization of qRT-PCR is to normalize for fluctuations in input either quantitatively or qualitatively among others. If you are using a spike in miRNA you cannot control for this. Therefore it is not useful in my eyes.
I would suggest to run a test with a subset of samples and 3-5 different housekeepers and then run algorithms like these here
http://www.leonxie.com/referencegene.php?type=reference

to investigate the variance between samples. Then choose those with least variance between samples for that tissue.
DrOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
lran2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOM View Post
The aims for normalization of qRT-PCR is to normalize for fluctuations in input either quantitatively or qualitatively among others. If you are using a spike in miRNA you cannot control for this. Therefore it is not useful in my eyes.
I would suggest to run a test with a subset of samples and 3-5 different housekeepers and then run algorithms like these here
http://www.leonxie.com/referencegene.php?type=reference

to investigate the variance between samples. Then choose those with least variance between samples for that tissue.
There are some studies which actually spike-in miRNA for normalization.
eg. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...ijc.25376/full

I am a beginner, so could you point out the reason why this is not useful?
lran2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
DrOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lran2008 View Post
There are some studies which actually spike-in miRNA for normalization.
eg. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...ijc.25376/full

I am a beginner, so could you point out the reason why this is not useful?
In the quoted paper they use the spike in-controls (cel-miRNAs) to monitor for isolation efficiency of RNA from circulating tumor cells. Due to minute amounts they could not detect or measure the total RNA from these samples. So maybe you should first describe your experiment more thoroughly? If you want to detect miRNAs by qRT-PCR from total RNA, which concentration you can measure after isolation, spike-in controls do not make much sense, since isolation procedures are pretty standard for miRNAs including total RNA. One could use a miRNA, e.g. miR-16, to control if the method looses the miRNAs, but I surely would use cell lines for the establishment of this method in your lab.
By the way I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question, or do you also plan to sequence miRNA libraries?
Hope this helps

Last edited by DrOM; 09-13-2013 at 08:26 AM.
DrOM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirna normalization