Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

testformat says: illumina fastq raw single-ended 108bp

As far as I remember this was a HiSeq run.

I tried the reformat line suggested by Brian but the process stops after a while with errors. Apparently short of memory. Will try to improve that and try again.
    Hi there

Comment

Hmm... can you post the errors? Reformat by default uses very little memory, which is all that should be needed for a correctly-formatted file containing reads. It will run out of memory if you use it without increasing the default memory allocation on extremely long sequences (over tens of megabases) such as the human genome. It will never run out of memory on a correctly-formatted Illumina fastq file.

So, it would also be helpful if you could post the results of "head" (the first 10 lines of the file).

Comment

See below. I run it for only one fo the files because doing both would go over my storage quota.

java -da -Xmx200m -cp /home/cslamovi/CLARKSCV1.2.2-b/bbmap/current/ jgi.ReformatReads -da ibq qin=33 in=scratch/s_3_1_sequence.fastq out=scratch/fixed_1.fq
        Executing jgi.ReformatReads [-da, ibq, qin=33, in=scratch/s_3_1_sequence.fastq, out=scratch/fixed_1.fq]

Input is being processed as unpaired
        java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2786)
        at fileIO.ByteFile1.fillBuffer(ByteFile1.java:180)
        at fileIO.ByteFile1.nextLine(ByteFile1.java:136)
        at stream.FASTQ.toReadList(FASTQ.java:648)
        at stream.FastqReadInputStream.fillBuffer(FastqReadInputStream.java:111)
        at stream.FastqReadInputStream.nextList(FastqReadInputStream.java:96)
        at stream.ConcurrentGenericReadInputStream$ReadThread.readLists(ConcurrentGenericReadInputStream.java:656)
        at stream.ConcurrentGenericReadInputStream$ReadThread.run(ConcurrentGenericReadInputStream.java:635)
        Input: 32775200 reads 3539721600 bases
        Output: 32775200 reads (100.00%) 3539721600 bases (100.00%)

Time: 807.191 seconds.
        Reads Processed: 32775k 40.60k reads/sec
        Bases Processed: 3539m 4.39m bases/sec
        Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: ReformatReads terminated in an error state; the output may be corrupt.
        at jgi.ReformatReads.process(ReformatReads.java:1032)
        at jgi.ReformatReads.main(ReformatReads.java:45)
        Hi there

Comment

Looks like you only ran this with 200MB of RAM. Can you try with -Xmx2g?

How old is this data BTW (in years)?

Comment

Reformat should never run out of memory with the default settings and short (<200kbp) reads. I think the input file is corrupt, and should be re-downloaded. The corruption probably occurs somewhere around the 32.77 millionth read, but it's hard to be sure...

Comment

Hi

I came across this when searching for a way to demultiplex non-overlapping paired end reads that were sequenced using combinatorial barcodes. I don't suppose there is a way of doing that somehow using seal (or other tools?).

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
              It is almost possible to do this with Seal, which outputs reads into bins based on kmer matching.

seal.sh in=reads.fq pattern=%.fq k=6 restrictleft=6 mm=f ref=barcodes.fa rcomp=f

That would require a file "barcodes.fa" like this:
              >AACTGA
              AACTGA
              >GGCCTT
              GGCCTT

etc., with one fasta entry per barcode, so the output reads would be in file AACTGA.fq and so forth. This is sort of a common request, so maybe I will make it unnecessary to provide a fasta file of the barcodes. Does that matter to you either way?

However, BBDuk has the flags "skipr1" and "skipr2", which allow it to only do kmer operations on one read or the other. Seal currently lacks this, but it's essential for processing inline barcodes. I'll add it for the next release.

Comment

Newbie here! I have unzipped and untared bbmap but it wont run any commands. I have a Linux virtual box in windows 10. Am I missing some software to use BBMap?

Comment

Originally posted by mcauchy View Post
                  Newbie here! I have unzipped and untared bbmap but it wont run any commands. I have a Linux virtual box in windows 10. Am I missing some software to use BBMap?
                  What do you mean "it won't run any commands"? Can you see the shell scripts in the "bbmap" folder. Try the following command and see if it produces help output on screen after you change to bbmap directory.

Code:
                  $ ./bbmap.sh

Comment

What I mean is I run:
                    $ ./repair.sh in1=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_1.fastq in2=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_2.fastq out1=fixed1.fq out2=fixed2.fq outsingle=single.fq

...and get:
                    java -ea -Xmx-211m -cp /media/sf_D_DRIVE/bbmap/current/ jgi.SplitPairsAndSingles rp in1=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_1.fastq in2=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_2.fastq out1=fixed1.fq out2=fixed2.fq outsingle=single.fq
                    Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx-211m
                    Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
                    Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

Comment

How much memory have you allocated to the VM? You should at least have 2+ GB to have enough available for programs to run.

Comment

I have allocated 2.9Gb, which is all I have to give. It seems that is not enough. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by mcauchy View Post
                          I have allocated 2.9Gb, which is all I have to give. It seems that is not enough. Thanks for your help.
                          That may be true but in case BBMap was not able to allocate RAM correctly can you try running the command as follows:

Code:
                          $ ./repair.sh -Xmx2g in1=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_1.fastq in2=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_2.fastq out1=fixed1.fq out2=fixed2.fq outsingle=single.fq

Comment

Also it seems to me that '-Xmx-211m' is odd. Why the negative 211? I am not sure that makes a difference but it might.

Comment

Didn't run for very long....

$ ./repair.sh -Xmx2g in1=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_1.fastq in2=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_2.fastq out1=fixed1.fq out2=fixed2.fq outsingle=single.fq

java -ea -Xmx2g -cp /media/sf_D_DRIVE/bbmap/current/ jgi.SplitPairsAndSingles rp -Xmx2g in1=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_1.fastq in2=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_2.fastq out1=fixed1.fq out2=fixed2.fq outsingle=single.fq
                              Executing jgi.SplitPairsAndSingles [rp, -Xmx2g, in1=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_1.fastq, in2=/media/sf_D_DRIVE/champagnefastqs/srr1290816_2.fastq, out1=fixed1.fq, out2=fixed2.fq, outsingle=single.fq]

Set INTERLEAVED to false
                              Started output stream.
                              Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
                              at java.util.HashMap.resize(HashMap.java:580)
                              at java.util.HashMap.addEntry(HashMap.java:879)
                              at java.util.LinkedHashMap.addEntry(LinkedHashMap.java:427)
                              at java.util.HashMap.put(HashMap.java:505)
                              at jgi.SplitPairsAndSingles.repair(SplitPairsAndSingles.java:751)
                              at jgi.SplitPairsAndSingles.process3_repair(SplitPairsAndSingles.java:538)
                              at jgi.SplitPairsAndSingles.process2(SplitPairsAndSingles.java:304)
                              at jgi.SplitPairsAndSingles.process(SplitPairsAndSingles.java:230)
                              at jgi.SplitPairsAndSingles.main(SplitPairsAndSingles.java:45)

Comment

How about setting the VM aside and running BBMap directly on windows 10. How much RAM is there on the machine? BBMap is written in java and will run there but you would need to take into account windows versions of the command line usage for BBMap.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses