Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBJelly keeps crashing on me. Previous jobs (with potentially poor Illumina assemblies) produced poor results. That said I do have a current job that has been running for three days without crashing so I am hoping for the best. That job is a small variant on jobs that have crashed on me but maybe I got everything right this time. As is typical for bioinformatics program the troubleshooting messages are not very helpful.

I do realize that PBJelly is newer than AHA but one has to do with what actually runs.

Looks like you just removed the AHA option from the web page I posted above. Your first edit of that page.

While I haven't used MaSrRCA in a while it seems to me that it is basically doing an Illumina assembly and then layering -- scaffolding, gap-filling, whatever -- on top of the Illumina assembly. Same category

I point out that while PacBio only assembly is nice it doesn't really work for a 1GB genome unless one has a lot of $$$.

Comment

I removed AHA, as I cannnot think of any situation for which I would recommend it. It doesn't work for large genomes (>200Mb), and for smaller genomes if you have enough data to use it you have more than enough to try hybrid assembly, or even low coverage denovo PacBio (>25x).
      I would consider scaffolding and resolving ambiguity during assembly to be two different approaches.
      Cost for a 1Gb genome is probably not as much as you think, and if you factor in analysis time, it can be competitive. A recent example avian genome, great library, 60 SMRT Cells, from raw data to finished genome ~2 days, >15Mb contig N50. Obviously not everything works out quite so well, but 1Gb genomes are becoming routine.

Comment

The Falcon assembler is designed for diploid assembly, for higher ploidy it will depend on the nature of plody inbred, allotetraploid etc.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses