SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Epigenetics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange higher band in Bioanalyzer after size selection JNissen Sample Prep / Library Generation 6 07-12-2013 12:10 PM
Size selection of ChIP-Seq library OptimusBrien Sample Prep / Library Generation 7 02-22-2012 01:18 PM
Strange higher size amplicon in ChIP seq Library!! Chiper Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 07-10-2010 07:43 AM
qPCR quantification of mRNA seq libraries: strange amplicon sizes Martin_Ranik Illumina/Solexa 2 06-23-2009 05:31 AM
CHiP-SEQ size and SOLiD DNADEB Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 02-28-2009 03:46 AM

Old 06-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Chiper

Angry Strange higher size amplicon in ChIP seq Library!!

Hi, I am seeing a strange amplicon ~2Kb long in all my libraries beside expected ~250-300bp amplicon (picture attached).

I perform ChIP using DNA sheared with bioruptor which peaks ~500bp. I work with low cell number so I get ~5-10 ng after ChIP. Post IP this DNA is further sheared using Covaris and processed for library preparation as per the Solid ChIP-seq library preparation protocol. I used to get ~250-300 bp DNA as expected but in all my recent samples I could see a higher size amplicon ~2 KB beside the expected amplicon. I am not able to find any logical explanation for this!! Has anyone seen this before?

Can I still use these libraries for sequencing after size selection? I am afraid I might introduce bias in my samples. Please help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChIP library.jpg (40.3 KB, 67 views)
Chiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Hamid

Hi Chiper,

what reverse cross linking method are you using?
How are you purifying the IP'd material for subsequent fragmentation on the Covaris instrument?

Thank you

Hamid
Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
Chiper

Dear Hamid,
Thanks for your questions. I heat the ptn-DNA complex at 67 degrees for 4-5 hours to reverse the cross links. After Ptn-K treatment DNA from ChIP is purified using Qiagen PCR Purification kit and qPCR is done to ensure that ChIP has worked fine.

After all these steps IPed DNA (~40-45 ul) is diluted in low TE to get 100 ul final volume and further sonicated using Covaris to get smaller size fragments (~100 bp). Since DNA amount is low we don't do any size selection at this step. All the subsequent purification of DNA are done with the help of Agencourt magnetic beads as per the standard protocol. If we are leaving some population un-sheared it's puzzling to me that we are seeing a sharp peak around 2Kb. Please let me know if you need more information.
Chiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
zwang0614

It is really weird. Has it been solved?
zwang0614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
NextGenSeq

The Bioruptor sucks for shearing. I would switch to the Covaris.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
AndersHaakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGenSeq View Post
The Bioruptor sucks for shearing. I would switch to the Covaris.
I've heard this a few time now here - and frankly we are having quite a lot of problems with our BioRuptor on chromatin prepared from some cell types.

Did you do a direct comparison between BioRuptor and Covaris, and was the comparison done on material that you were unable to shear with the bioruptor?

Thx in advance,
Anders
AndersHaakon is offline   Reply With Quote