Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genomic DNA integrity importance in amplicon sequencing

Hi there, in my lab we are going to be sequencing 16S with Miseq from stool samples and we are currently in the DNA extraction step.

We are using Qiagen's QiAmp DNA stool mini kit and have performed an additional step of bead beating that gives us twice of the final DNA concentration. The issue is that when we check the integrity we see smear bands.

How important is if we want to see diversity to start with integral DNA?

We think is important, since we don´t have a way to control what DNA is being degraded and we might loose 16S of some bacterias, but we have performed RFLP-PCR and the profiles are very similar and wanted to ask for your experience.

Thanks!

When sampling DNA from stool I'd expect a stromg degree of degradation and thus a high spread of sizes on gel/bioanalyzer. Even if you have DNA from blood and purify, you would rather see a smear in a certain range typical for your purification method than a sharp peak we know from (most) PCR products. What I would question is, if you do your PCR for whatever 16s fragment you intend to sequence - do you get a PCR product of an appropriate size range?

Comment

Hi Baseless thank you for answering. We indeed get a PCR product of the appropriate size. A person from a sequencing center told me that as long as the smeared bands are above the size of the PCR product you want to amplify it would be Ok.
      I still think it could cause loss of diversity though, because of the random fragmentation of the DNA, although I guess it might not be such a big deal...

Comment

And one more thing to consider on the final product: the 16s amplicons are a diverse thing, so they are allowed to differ a bit in size.
        I would not tolerate this from a PCR amplicon for resequencing of a defined region like for deep-coverage SNV validation, but a degree of size range is ok with me on 16s, TCR and BCR variable regions.
        However, never let your guard down on small fragments on adapter dimers, they only lead into trouble.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
          Yesterday, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses