Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cuffDiff "cannot open reference GTF file"

I am running a series of Tuxedo pipelines and have run into the following error message a number of times in CuffDiff "cannot open reference GTF file".

The GTF file was generated in CuffMerge and looks completely normal. Here are some lines to illustrate this:
    Ch2 Cufflinks exon 2735 6095 . + . gene_id "XLOC_000001"; transcript_id "TCONS_00000001"; exon_number "1"; oId "CUFF.3.1"; class_code "u"; tss_id "TSS1";
    Ch2 Cufflinks exon 6172 6607 . + . gene_id "XLOC_000001"; transcript_id "TCONS_00000001"; exon_number "2"; oId "CUFF.3.1"; class_code "u"; tss_id "TSS1";
    Ch2 Cufflinks exon 7279 7433 . + . gene_id "XLOC_000001"; transcript_id "TCONS_00000001"; exon_number "3"; oId "CUFF.3.1"; class_code "u"; tss_id "TSS1";
    Ch2 Cufflinks exon 7494 10061 . + . gene_id "XLOC_000001"; transcript_id "TCONS_00000001"; exon_number "4"; oId "CUFF.3.1"; class_code "u"; tss_id "TSS1";

I can find no error in my input command either:
    cuffdiff \
    -o "/gpfs/group1/f/flyinv/Outputs_CuffDiff/ExonsGenes/SCJR32_a" \
    -L SC_JR32_Male,SC_JR32_Female,SC_JR32_Larvae \
    --total-hits-norm \
    --frag-bias-correct /gpfs/group1/f/flyinv/working_index/Dpse3_0_1.fa \
    --multi-read-correct \
    --library-norm-method classic-fpkm \
    /gpfs/group1/f/flyinv/Outputs_CuffMerge/exonGene/SCR32_a/merged.gtf \
    /gpfs/group1/f/flyinv/Outputs_TopHat/transcriptiomeSequence_exonsAndGeneAnnotationData/SC_JR32_Male/accepted_hits.bam \
    /gpfs/group1/f/flyinv/Outputs_TopHat/transcriptiomeSequence_exonsAndGeneAnnotationData/SC_JR32_Female/accepted_hits.bam \
    /gpfs/group1/f/flyinv/Outputs_TopHat/transcriptiomeSequence_exonsAndGeneAnnotationData/SC_JR32_Larvae/accepted_hits.bam

I have found other threads where the same problem has been encountered, but there seems to be no real explanation or solution:

One possible cause of this problem could be the GFF3 and GTF files used to guide the upstream TopHat and Cufflinks and CuffMerge analyses. TopHat and CuffLinks were run using a GFF3 file that contained the known gene and exon annotations for the target species. A GFF file generated by TopHat from the same data was used to guide the CuffMerge analyses. I don't see what difference this would make, but could this have somehow caused the error?

Hello there,

Hope this doesn't sound patronizing, but do you have permission to read the GTF file?

Code:
    ls -lh /gpfs/group1/f/flyinv/Outputs_CuffMerge/exonGene/SCR32_a/merged.gtf
    will show you permissions. Alternatively, you can just check if you can read the file by using a program to read the file (e.g. head, less, more, tail, etc.)

Code:
     head ls -lh /gpfs/group1/f/flyinv/Outputs_CuffMerge/exonGene/SCR32_a/merged.gtf
    If you don't have permission, you should change them using the 'chmod' tool.

HTH

Comment

I think you miss a . before / for your bam or gtf file. It happens on me once and later I figure out it is the wrong directory I put into the cuffdiff command. That is why cuffdiff can not read gtf file

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:07 PM
      0 responses