No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer hardware requirements

Hello everybody,

I am new to the next generation sequencing thechnology, and guess that I will be harassing you for a while.
    Let me start off with my first question. As I need to buy a new computer soon, withwhich I'll be performing the analysis of the tremendous sequencing data, I was wondering about the minimal requirements of the computer hardware.
    Hope to read from you soon.
    Greetings,
    Najim

What organisms are you working on? Small genomes like viruses, modest things like bacteria, or complex genomes like eukaryotes? This has an enormous impact on the amount of data and the amount of memory you'll need.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
      What organisms are you working on? Small genomes like viruses, modest things like bacteria, or complex genomes like eukaryotes? This has an enormous impact on the amount of data and the amount of memory you'll need.
      I'll be working on the human genome. I want to investigate the possible implementation of NGS for molecular diagnostics of genetic disorders involving large genes and/or multiple genes.

Comment

Najim, I'm doing lots of solexa sequencing of ChIP DNA and only need basic peak finding and bioinformatics so the requirements are modest for me. I built a workstation with a quad-core CPU and 8GB of RAM with velocipartor drives and it screams. For what you are doing I would suspect you will need lots more RAM. I forget where I read it but I think one person doing whole genome sequencing was using an 8-core system with 32GB or RAM. You'll have to have tons of storage space, though. Don't skimp. Get a 16TB RAID array and come up with a good backup/archiving solution for all your data. I quickly filled up a 2TB array, expanded it to 4TB and am working on getting an 8 or 16TB array. This line of experimentation isn't cheap.

Comment

Hi Najim:

We have been working to develop turn key cluster solutions for different NGS platforms. You may be familiar with our GS FLX Titanium Cluster (www.pssclabs.com/roche) that is available from Roche and works in conjunction with their Titanium sequencer. Based on your sequencing of human genome you may want to consider a cluster based solution. Do you have a time restraint (ie 24 hours) for run time?

Comment

Originally posted by Najim View Post
            Hello everybody,

I am new to the next generation sequencing thechnology, and guess that I will be harassing you for a while.
            Let me start off with my first question. As I need to buy a new computer soon, withwhich I'll be performing the analysis of the tremendous sequencing data, I was wondering about the minimal requirements of the computer hardware.
            Hope to read from you soon.
            Greetings,
            Najim
            Can you tell us what sequencer instrument are you getting?
            -drd

Comment

Thanx for the info guys.

The main purpose of the computer will be mutation detection in specific genomic regions. I didn't realize I'll need that much of RAM memory (32Gb).
              I reckon the sequence data assembly and partial data analysis (base-calling) happens on the workstation, which is coupled to the sequencer.

We are probably going to get the Illumina sequencer. Firstly, I am planning to perform a pilot sequence run of about 12 multiplexed samples on one lane (about 1 Mb of sequence each). The samples contain several mutation types, such as nucleotide substitions (heterozygous as well as homozygous), micro indels, and large deletions (ranging from one exon to several exons). The run is a success if all mutations feeded to the machine are detected (easily). By the way, I am considering using CLC-bio software. Any suggestions/comments on that matter is greatly appreciated.

The computer I have in mind has the following specs:
              - memory: 6 Gb RAM
              - Processor: AMD Phenom II X4
              - Hard disk: 1 Tb
              - Videocard: 1 Gb

What do you guys think?

Greetings,
              Najim

Comment

Hi Najim,

Due to the large file sizes there is a lot of IO going on in NGS bioinformatics analysis. For this reason it is a good idea to purchase a machine with fast discs.

For inspiration, you can have a look at the specs of the machine we have put together:

Cheers

Roald Forsberg

************Disclaimer: I work at CLC bio*************

Comment

Originally posted by Roald View Post
                  Hi Najim,

Due to the large file sizes there is a lot of IO going on in NGS bioinformatics analysis. For this reason it is a good idea to purchase a machine with fast discs.

For inspiration, you can have a look at the specs of the machine we have put together:

Cheers

Roald Forsberg

Roald, can you tell me how much did you pay for that box?
                  -drd

Comment

CLC Genomics Machine

Originally posted by drio View Post
                    Hi drio,

The machine is actually a product that we sell bundled with a full software solution. You can read the full specs of hardware and software at http://www.clcmachine.com/

If you write an e-mail to our sales office we are happy to give you a quote. You can find the contact info at http://www.clcbio.com/index.php?id=11

Cheers

Roald Forsberg

Comment

Get your systems administrator to give you some space on one of their racks (another reason to be nice to sys-admins). You should be able to get such a system (depending on how many Us and vendor) for $2,500 - $5,000.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
                        You should be able to get such a system (depending on how many Us and vendor) for $2,500 - $5,000.
                        Ummm ... where do you get 2 x X5550 and 48 GB RAM for USD 5k? Quotes I've seen were more in the USD 9-9.5k range.

B.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
                          Get your systems administrator to give you some space on one of their racks (another reason to be nice to sys-admins). You should be able to get such a system (depending on how many Us and vendor) for $2,500 - $5,000.
                          I wish it was so simple.
                          And yes, that box is not going to be 2k5/5k.. more close to 7k.
                          -drd

Comment

I wish it was so simple.
                            And yes, that box is not going to be 2k5/5k.. more close to 7k.
                            I'll PM you since I haven't received my commission from that company.

Comment

Our 2 Xeon quad core, 32GB, 1.5TB Raid5 cost less than 3grand. You have to shop around for the memory and hard drives. And don't forget if you order a tower server the FANs are seriously loud.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses