Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to draw Venn digram for two groups peaks

Hi, everyone. I meet a problem in drawing Venn diagram to describe the overlapping of peaks between two groups. I defined one base overlapping between one peak from A and another peak from B as overlapping. Now, the problem comes. Sometimes, one peak in A group may overlapping with two near peaks in B group. Then , the number in A group overlapped with B group is not as same as that in B group. How to solve this? Thank you very much!
    Last edited by lee_sh; 10-28-2011, 10:21 AM.

I guess I do not understand the problem. There will be X number of elements in set A that have overlaps with set B. There will be Y number of elements in set B that overlap with set A. X and Y do not need to be the same number in order to create a Venn diagram.

Now if you want a more complex relationship; e.g., something along the lines of element 'I' in set A has a relationship to elements 'J' and 'K' in set B ... well then a Venn diagram is not what you are looking for.

Comment

Lee_sh,

My suggestion is to exclude the "ambiguous" peaks from your lists first, then check 1) the Venn Diagram without the ambiguous peaks; 2) the number of ambiguous peaks. If it represents a small percentage, you may ignore. If it is substantial, you need to fine tune your separation and comparison algorithm.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
        I guess I do not understand the problem. There will be X number of elements in set A that have overlaps with set B. There will be Y number of elements in set B that overlap with set A. X and Y do not need to be the same number in order to create a Venn diagram.
        Rick,

I'd have to respectfully disagree with that statement. The overlapping portions of a Venn diagram contain the elements which sets A and B have in common. Since it is single set of elements who size is a finite integer N; set A contains all N elements and set B contains all N elements.

Lee_sh's problem is that a Venn diagram is not an appropriate representation for the data as defined. It would be appropriate to display peaks which are common to the two sets, with the stipulation that a peak in set A can only be considered in common with a single peak of set B and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post

Now if you want a more complex relationship; e.g., something along the lines of element 'I' in set A has a relationship to elements 'J' and 'K' in set B ... well then a Venn diagram is not what you are looking for.
          Good answer. Thanks. Maybe I can also use the percentages of each set to draw Venn diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by DZhang View Post
            Lee_sh,

My suggestion is to exclude the "ambiguous" peaks from your lists first, then check 1) the Venn Diagram without the ambiguous peaks; 2) the number of ambiguous peaks. If it represents a small percentage, you may ignore. If it is substantial, you need to fine tune your separation and comparison algorithm.
            Thanks. The "ambigous" peaks(like one peak in A overlaps two peaks in B) are accepted as one possiblity in my study. Someone suggested me to use gene instead peak for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
              Rick,

I'd have to respectfully disagree with that statement. The overlapping portions of a Venn diagram contain the elements which sets A and B have in common. Since it is single set of elements who size is a finite integer N; set A contains all N elements and set B contains all N elements.

Lee_sh's problem is that a Venn diagram is not an appropriate representation for the data as defined. It would be appropriate to display peaks which are common to the two sets, with the stipulation that a peak in set A can only be considered in common with a single peak of set B and vice versa.
              Yes. Strictly, Venn diagram may be not suitable for this question if the elements in two sets can not meet the criteria as you discribed. However, the phenomena of one peak overlapping with more is common in ChIP-seq especially histone modifications. Any better method to describe such relationship between two sets?

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
                Rick,

You are, of course, correct. I am not sure what I was thinking. I was probably over-thinking because, as you say below...
                Lee_sh's problem is that a Venn diagram is not an appropriate representation for the data as defined...

Comment

Originally posted by lee_sh View Post
                  Yes. Strictly, Venn diagram may be not suitable for this question if the elements in two sets can not meet the criteria as you discribed. However, the phenomena of one peak overlapping with more is common in ChIP-seq especially histone modifications.
                  I don't dispute that the data are typical for the type of experiment performed. My comments were strictly to do with the presentation of the data.
                  Any better method to describe such relationship between two sets?
                  What's wrong with a nicely constructed table?

Comment

We tend to look at this in two ways. One is to look at the percentage of peaks in set A that overlap ones in B, and vice-versa (percentage in B that overlap A). The other way is to merge the peaks, which gives you a common set of (wider) peaks. In your example where two peaks in one set overlap single peak in the other set, you would be left with a single peak that covers all three of them. Then you can do a proper Venn diagram.

There are function in our Bioconductor package, DiffBind, that make it easy to do both of these: dba.plotVenn will do the merging and plotting in one step, and dba.overlap will give you the each-way overlap rates of unmerged peaks (and extract the overlapping and non-overlapping sets as well).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                    0 responses