Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina Firefly sequencer

We can look forward to announcement of one (previously talked about) Illumina Sequencer next week at J.P. Morgan meeting.

At least one person has the sequencer in their lab: https://twitter.com/mason_lab/status/943639593303396352

I was trying to understand the niche of Firefly from that tweet. 6M reads, length of 2x150, 16 hour runtime. That sounds very similar to a MiSeq micro run.
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Dr. Keith Robinson has some thoughts in his blog post. Perhaps consumables will be cheaper and fast turnaround would be attractive for small labs. Cores may find this useful for QC'ing pools/libraries too.

Comment

Cheaper instruments from the orange empire typically mean higher cost per sample. The other piece to Firefly is the module (shipping sometime later in 2018 IIRC) that can perform sample prep for this same box (like the now defunct NeoPrep).

Comment

Qiagen Killer?

Originally posted by SNPsaurus View Post
          I was trying to understand the niche of Firefly from that tweet. 6M reads, length of 2x150, 16 hour runtime. That sounds very similar to a MiSeq micro run.
          I've been thinking about this for a while. My best guess is that the Firefly, paired with the future sample prep module, is best positioned against Qiagen's GeneReader (which is solely going after the clinical market). Apart from that, it's not clear that this configuration is solving a big problem currently facing the research market.
          --
          Shawn Baker
          SanDiegOmics.com

Comment

Illumina is calling "firefly" iSeq 100. Information and pre-orders are now available: https://www.illumina.com/systems/seq...orms/iseq.html

Priced at $19,900 in US.

Comment

One third of the reads for two-thirds the cost of a Miseq v2 kit. At least for PE150.

I really don't see the point unless they're trying to get installed in that last fraction of labs that just have to have their own machines but couldn't swing the capex for a Miniseq.

Also, hey, what about the Miniseq? Is it going the way of the Neoprep?

Comment

It has been in development for 2+ years so I guess they have to try and recover some of the development costs. Initial cost of entry seems to be low and the whole thing appears "fool"-proof so pretty much anyone can use it. There are always those who want to have the "latest" in their labs. It could be a QC machine for large cores to balance library pools for large projects.

Did I miss any other "benefits" :-)

Comment

I guess the low instrument cost and the small size are supposed to sway people who are impressed by the nanopore instruments? despite the data being of completely different nature.
                  I twill totally depend on the reagent costs if this system becomes relevant.

Comment

Per sample cost is supposed to be between $25 and $150 according to GenomeWeb. Not clear if that is just the cost of the sequencing reagents.

Comment

I'll bet that's library prep costs, which is inline with Nextera per sample costs.

Keith Robinson's saying the PE150 reagents are $625 with a 5% discount if bought in 4-packs.
                      Last edited by GW_OK; 01-09-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

This has more details:
                        Illumina CEO Francis deSouza's J.P. Morgan Presentation did not disappoint.  While humdrum financials and touting market dominance and areas...

If the flowcell price is correct it seems that the instrument is currently only of interest in cases where speed is of absolute priority (although the IonTorrents should still be faster) - and perhaps the simplified operation. I guess the libraries would still have to be quantified well to achieve good data.
                        Last edited by luc; 01-10-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Turnaround is really important. The market for these machines is the ~$100 per bacterial genome smaller groups. 1.2 Gbp is about 8-10 bacteria at 30X coverage. If the libraries are cheap enough (~$30) then those smaller labs that want to pay $100 per bacterial genome are going to be happy. Our core is small enough that it's hard to regularly queue up 200 bacterial genomes even if the price is good with our NextSeq.

Comment

I guess the libraries are the same as for the other Illumina sequencers?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                            0 responses