SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MAQ Map/Match Problem Fritz_Doll RNA Sequencing 1 06-03-2012 02:38 AM
MAQ - colorspace alignment troubles Jonathan Bioinformatics 1 01-20-2010 10:16 PM
maq map -n in colorspace Mr Mutundes SOLiD 2 12-01-2009 02:22 PM
What is the difference between "maq match" and "maq map" cliff Bioinformatics 1 11-16-2009 02:13 PM
Transcriptome Match in Colorspace doxologist SOLiD 0 02-24-2009 12:48 PM

Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
der_eiskern

Default maq map/match settings in colorspace

Hi all.
I just started working with MAQ, SOLiD, and Illumina software/hardware this month and had a hard time finding answers to these questions (maybe i missed them!)

First, how does MAQ handle the mismatch threshold when mapping SOLiD reads with MAQ? Setting -n 3 would allow for 3 mismatches in the firs 24 bp of the read in the mapping when using Illumina data. Does setting -n 3 -c allow for three mismatches in colorspace, or 1.5?

also, the maq manual suggests -n INT can handle numbers >3 but in practice my installed maq versions 0.7.1 will only run -n <=3.

lastly, SOLiD matepairs are in the FF orientation while Illumina matepairs are in the FR/RF orientation. if i switch the orientation of one of my SOLiD matepairs in fastq format, can i get paired end alignments of SOLiD sequence using MAQ?

Thanks for your help.

[update] I think the 2008 thread here may answer my first and third questions. Namely that -n 3 in colorspace doesn't mean 3 neighboring sets of colorspace mismatches but rather any 3 SINGLE colorspace mismatches; and MAQ can run SOLiD matepairs as matepairs rather than single end reads. Second question still needs answering because I'd like to run -n 4 or -n 5 to increase my mapping efficiency.

Last edited by der_eiskern; 07-28-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: potentially found answers to some of these questions
der_eiskern is offline   Reply With Quote