No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soliciting the help of the Bioinformatics Community

Hello Everyone,
    I'm a geneticist and I've predominantly worked with miRNAs and am now switching to the analysis steps. I'm talking about RNA-seq analysis here.

As bioinformaticians or geneticists if you could give direction to some programmers, who had no background in genetics, what problems would you want them to tackle? What pain and slow-down do you have in your daily activities? What needs optimising, what needs gluing, what needs coding?Especially interested in problems that can be gamified for people e.g. phylo.

The goal for us is to find a problem that computers can't do so well and to optimize it with human pattern matching.

manual genome assembly

We have great tools to get us to a draft assembly but there are still quite a few areas of the genome that the automatic assemblers just can't handle. If there was a visualization tool that would allow researchers/individuals to look at the scaffolds in a draft assembly and then use evidence to indicate yes these two should be joined into a superscaffold and these 10 into a chromosome etc.

I have long thought that we are addicted to this instant gratification of bioinformatics analysis when in reality there are many tasks that are done better using the visual cortex, a well designed GUI, and a few months.

Comment

Hi,
      That seems like an interesting start for our model. Do you have specific tools/methods in mind to improve this? How is the draft genome assembled currently ?

Yes our plan is to get humans to pattern match for us to improve a process or analysis. This might be a good example to use.

Originally posted by severin View Post
      We have great tools to get us to a draft assembly but there are still quite a few areas of the genome that the automatic assemblers just can't handle. If there was a visualization tool that would allow researchers/individuals to look at the scaffolds in a draft assembly and then use evidence to indicate yes these two should be joined into a superscaffold and these 10 into a chromosome etc.

I have long thought that we are addicted to this instant gratification of bioinformatics analysis when in reality there are many tasks that are done better using the visual cortex, a well designed GUI, and a few months.

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for the answer. How is the draft assembly currently made? Our idea is to use human pattern matching to match the "outliers". Could you point me to some articles if any that describe this process?

I'd be willing to find out more to see if we could fit this in our platform

Originally posted by severin View Post

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses