SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mixed read lengths in TopHat input file shurjo Bioinformatics 13 11-01-2012 04:46 AM
Two exome-sequencing platform comparison papers Michael.James.Clark Literature Watch 5 05-14-2012 06:58 AM
amplicon read lengths SeqNerd Ion Torrent 2 06-08-2011 10:50 PM
Calculating read lengths - SOLiD naluru SOLiD 1 01-26-2011 04:57 AM
How to visualise alignments with different read lengths? lindseyjane Bioinformatics 5 09-17-2009 01:27 AM

Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
ryantkoehler

Default Platform comparison of read lengths

Hi all

Does anyone know of a good comparison of next gen sequencing platform read specs? In particular, I'm interested in common/maximal read lengths, mate-pair insert ranges, and ideally, error rate ranges and/or estimates and modes (i.e. number of wrong base(s) read from source sequence and type of error; indel, substitution, etc). Of course it would be nice to know advertised throughput, costs (capital and operational), other pros, cons, and features, as well :-)

I found it surprisingly difficult to find comparable read length numbers when I was compiling a table for a genomic sequencing class I taught this summer. I shared the values I found with a big caveat that these are moving targets and from different sources. My students uncovered several papers with numbers but I suspect some of these are already outdated and current numbers have changed.

1) Shendure J, Ji H. Next-generation DNA sequencing. Nat Biotechnol. 2008 Oct;26(10):1135-45.

2) Ansorge WJ. Next-generation DNA sequencing techniques. N Biotechnol. 2009 Apr;25(4):195-203. Epub 2009 Feb 3.Click here to read

Table 1 in the Shendure paper is a good (outdated!) model for what I'm looking for. It lists company, technology, costs, errors, read lengths. The attached picture is a screenshot of this table.

If anyone knows of newer numbers that would great, especially if they are already tabulated together!

Thanks,
-Ryan
ryantkoehler is offline   Reply With Quote