No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a Sanger sequencer

Hi,
    My name is Ann, and I'm an old Sanger sequencer getting used to the NGS world. I used to do radioactive (S-35 and P-33) sequencing, ~3-5 days hands on for 750 bp, so the switch to capillaries was incredible then and the switch to millions of reads makes my younger self green with envy. I've always been a mix of molecular biologist with super-user: I build my own Illumina libraries but send them off to a sequencing core and I can work in the Galaxy Web based interface and can explain what I want to a programmer but I cannot program myself. (I tried. I took a series bioinformatics courses including C++and Perl but I'm so slow at programming that I could calculate an e-value by hand faster than I could code it.)

Enough about me. I have several questions.

1) I'm curious why Phred values don't seem to be used by de novo NGS sequencing assemblers, or have I just not read the documentation correctly? They seem only to be used to evaluate whether a MiSeq or HiSeq run was good and not to mask or trim individual bases that aren't good. It seems weird to me to throw out an entire read if only few bases are bad.

2) What are the average %>Q30 for MiSeq and HiSeqs? Normal ranges?
    I realize that longer reads have declining Q30s, but on my first 2 MiSeq runs, as quality controls before HiSeq runs, at 2 x 150s with 96 combinations of dual index adapters, the core told me I had Read 1 96%>Q30 and Read 4 (Read 2 sequencing primer 2) 92%>Q30 with ~12 million paired end reads PF. On my second run, with 1 index, I had 2 x 250 at about the same # of reads ~94% and ~90% respectively. They said those values were high, I'm just trying to get a feel for how high. The Sequence Analysis Viewer shows that most of the cycles are well above Q35 with the 2 index sets (8 cycles each index Read 2 and 3) in the middle dropping to Q30.

Thanks in advance,
    Ann

Originally posted by Ann235 View Post
    Hi,

1) I'm curious why Phred values don't seem to be used by de novo NGS sequencing assemblers, or have I just not read the documentation correctly?
    Lots of assemblers. Most use Phred scores in assembly and SNP ID

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
    • seqadmin
      The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
      by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
      02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
    0 responses