No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stanford's machine learning applied in bioinformatics

2 questions:

1) Anyone on this forum also taking the ml-class offered?
    2) Specific examples of machine learning used in bioinformatics

So I'm about half way through the class and I started with the specific intent of applying this to bioinformatics ...

And while I understand what I'm working on ... I'd really like more practice!

linear regression
    logistic regression
    neural networks
    support vector machines

Shameless self promotion. Paper describing application of SVMs for the prediction of putative vaccine candidates from bacterial genome sequence.

Paul

Comment

I'm ok with shameless!

sounds .... amazingly spot on... !

if( published? )
      " where can I find one? "
      else
      " WHEN!? "
      end

and I've got a class full of smart and optimistic kids looking to learn some things ... do you have any leads .. or like annoying pet projects you'd like to talk about?

Comment

Oops,
        forgot to include link!

Reverse vaccinology aims to accelerate subunit vaccine design by rapidly predicting which proteins in a pathogenic bacterial proteome are putative protective antigens. Support vector machine classification is a machine learning approach that has been applied to solve numerous classification problems …

Comment

Hi,

I am following the ml class. The techniques taught in the class are very useful in biology.

Actually until I took the class, I didnot realize that the techniques used in microarray data analysis (or RNA-seq), for example, cluster analysis, PCA, clustering, are machine learning techniques.

Plus, linear regression is used a lot in modeling gene expression and gene set analysis, e.g. limma, GSEAlm.

Moreover, Octave, the programming environment used in the course (or a free version of Matlab), is also widely used in bioinformatics.

You won't regret taking the course.

Cheers,
          Jun

Comment

Paul:

^ Im posting this guy to reddit

Jun:
            Might I ask how you came upon that fact? Where can I read more about it?

Comment

Originally posted by delinquentme View Post
              Paul:

^ Im posting this guy to reddit

Jun:
              Might I ask how you came upon that fact? Where can I read more about it?
              Just a few examples as mentioned in my post.

Multivariate analysis package for microarray (clustering, PCA, COA ...)
              Culhane AC, Thioulouse J, Perriere G, Higgins DG (2005) MADE4: an R package for multivariate analysis of gene expression data. Bioinformatics 21:2789-2790.

Linear model in microarray DE gene
              Smyth GK (2004) Linear models and empirical bayes methods for assessing differential expression in microarray experiments. Stat Appl Genet Mol Biol 3:Article3.

Linear model in gene set analysis
              Oron AP, Jiang Z, Gentleman R (2008) Gene set enrichment analysis using linear models and diagnostics. Bioinformatics 24:2586-2591.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses