Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking for Mycoplasma contamination

I am processing some sequencing data that came from cell culture samples. There is some potential Mycoplasma contamination. If you are not familiar with working with cells, this is a very common occurrence. I think the easiest solution would be to align to Mycoplasma and see how many reads actually align. Unfortunately, there are many Mycoplasma species and genomes seem to vary widely. Is there already a pre-compiled list of reference sequences I can align to in order to check for that? Are there better solutions to check for contamination?

How's the GC distribution of your reads?
    savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
      How's the GC distribution of your reads?
      It's normal, which is about 40%.

Comment

Originally posted by id0 View Post
        I am processing some sequencing data that came from cell culture samples. There is some potential Mycoplasma contamination. If you are not familiar with working with cells, this is a very common occurrence. I think the easiest solution would be to align to Mycoplasma and see how many reads actually align. Unfortunately, there are many Mycoplasma species and genomes seem to vary widely. Is there already a pre-compiled list of reference sequences I can align to in order to check for that? Are there better solutions to check for contamination?
        If I remember correctly, in the lab the way to do it is by PCR. In silico, you could recapitulate that by finding the gene that is PCR'ed and screen your reads for it. Can't say what the FP/FN rate would be, but it'd be a start.
        Last edited by winsettz; 10-24-2013, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by winsettz View Post
          If I remember correctly, in the lab the way to do it is by PCR. In silico, you could recapitulate that by finding the gene that is PCR'ed and screen your reads for it. Can't say what the FP/FN rate would be, but it'd be a start.
          Then you are left with an additional step of trying to quantify the amount of Mycoplasma.

Comment

Originally posted by id0 View Post
            Then you are left with an additional step of trying to quantify the amount of Mycoplasma.
            I suppose if you had the original samples, the experimental way to do it would be quantitative PCR. With reads, you could probably determine nucleotide coverage of your Mycoplasma marker, or ideally, multiple mycoplasma markers, and compare to coverage of a marker of your desired organism.

Comment

You can get a list of all of the available mycoplasma genomes at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genome/?term=Mycoplasma

You could combine these into a single search database and just look for hits to any parts of any of them in your screening. I don't know how complete these sequences would be in covering the diversity of mycoplasma species but if you included them all and allowed some flexibility in matching that would hopefully be fairly useful?

To do the searches we developed FastQ Screen which allows you to search through multiple databases and provides a combined report on the relative number of unique and multiple hits to each of them. It's an easy way to get quantitative or visual feedback of the amount of contamination in your libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
                To do the searches we developed FastQ Screen which allows you to search through multiple databases and provides a combined report on the relative number of unique and multiple hits to each of them. It's an easy way to get quantitative or visual feedback of the amount of contamination in your libraries.
                I was not aware of that tool. It looks very promising. It seems it should be a part of every sequencing pipeline.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses