No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison of software for fusion genes

Hi there,

There are several algorithms for fusion gene detection floating around. You guys have an idea which one works the best for Illumina HiSeq PE data?

Or any suggestion, on which one to use for cancer data ?

Thanks a lot !
    K

Hi,

I had good results (ie. found the fusion known to be present in a cell line) with chimerascan: http://code.google.com/p/chimerascan/

For me, the main advantage on the other softwares is simply that it worked! Most others were impossible to install or crashing after hours of computation. That might be entirely my fault. I would be very interested to hear better and more informed feedback on the various options.

Comment

deFuse maybe?

It was tested on Illumina GAII paired end tumour data, which seems to fit your needs?

Comment

FusionCatcher for finding gene fusions in RNA-seq data is very easy to use and has found tens of novel fusion genes which have been validated using RT-PCR!

Finder of Somatic Fusion Genes in RNA-seq data. Contribute to ndaniel/fusioncatcher development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Hi
          can someone tell me how get fusion-break-point in chimerascan ? it gives only two spanning reads, but not the exact break-point. Whereas, deFuse and tophat-fusion give exact break-point seq.
          does anyboy has answer ?
          thank you

Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
          Hi,

I had good results (ie. found the fusion known to be present in a cell line) with chimerascan: http://code.google.com/p/chimerascan/

For me, the main advantage on the other softwares is simply that it worked! Most others were impossible to install or crashing after hours of computation. That might be entirely my fault. I would be very interested to hear better and more informed feedback on the various options.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanjan View Post
            Hi there,

There are several algorithms for fusion gene detection floating around. You guys have an idea which one works the best for Illumina HiSeq PE data?

Or any suggestion, on which one to use for cancer data ?

Thanks a lot !
            K
            Here is an extensive comparison of fusion genes finders using real RNA-seq data:

Finder of Somatic Fusion Genes in RNA-seq data. Contribute to ndaniel/fusioncatcher development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by ndaniel View Post
              FusionCatcher for finding gene fusions in RNA-seq data is very easy to use and has found tens of novel fusion genes which have been validated using RT-PCR!

http://code.google.com/p/fusioncatcher/
              We use FusionCatcher, and have been for some time, and are very happy with its performance. We've been using it on cancer samples and its been good for picking out known fusions in characterised lines as well as fusions that have validated subsequently.

Comment

It is possible to use fasta contigs as fusioncatcher input?

Comment

Originally posted by fafnir1990 View Post
                  It is possible to use fasta contigs as fusioncatcher input?
                  It depends how long are those contig sequences and how many of those are there.

If one converts the FASTA files into FASTQ files (e.g. https://code.google.com/p/fasta-to-fastq/ , https://www.biostars.org/p/99886/ ) then virtually all the fusion finders should be able to take them as input.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses