Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could use next-gen sequencing technology to answer any question....

...what small study would you do?

This is intended as a bit of fantasy, but a serious question, as I've often considered this question:

If you could do one small set of focused samples what would they be and what platform would you use to answer the question?

Cost/labor/your ability to analyze the data is not to be considered...we're talking pure scientific curiousity. Let's limit it to say one run on a GA/SOLiD, or 2-3 runs on 454, or a combination of short/long reads. But no more than 8-16 samples.

Moon rocks? Environmental mining? The fauna scraped off your windshield after a cross country drive? Swabs from a subway seat?

N timepoints for 3 patients from birth to death. Patients are triplets (twins+1) . The first two would be raised in the same environment, the third would be separated at birth. Sequence the epigenome. No clear platform preference.

No triplets were harmed in the making of this fantasy.
    Last edited by cariaso; 05-07-2008, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I like cariaso's study, though I'd also do gene expression studies:

I'd take N drug therapies, and test the whole transcriptome shotgun expression on each of M cell types, on X people, where N, N and X are impossibly large numbers. And, of course, each of the X people would also have a complete genome reference assembled.

You'd be able to figure out what parts of the genome cause drug interactions (successful, no effect or adverse side effect) if M,N and X were large enough.

For people who develop resistance, ie. cancer drugs no longer work, I'd also WTSS those tissues before and after resistance occurs to identify mechanisms.

What fun!
      The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses