SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLAST+ creating custom blast database and using blast+ filtering features deniz Bioinformatics 2 10-26-2012 12:04 PM
BLAST+ vs BLASTALL (legacy BLAST) Symphysodon Bioinformatics 4 10-25-2011 03:52 PM
Coverage per nucleotide jjk RNA Sequencing 3 10-03-2011 10:15 AM
BLAST database error - when changing to new BLAST+ local program biobio Bioinformatics 4 06-15-2011 06:20 AM
Nucleotide distribution useful? foxyg Bioinformatics 2 09-21-2010 10:11 AM

Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
LeserattePD

Default Nucleotide blast help please?

Dear all,

I'm looking for some help with Blastn/megablast.

I am trying to find out if my antisense oligonucleotide sequences bind non-specifically to targets other than the intended one.

I've selected "human genomic and transcript"

Then I think I should use megablast, as I am looking for similar sequences - is that correct? However, NCBI adjusts my search parameters because of using a short sequence to blastn. Can I stop it from doing that?

Now the problem starts - I want to only get HSPs where > 15 bp bind without gap and I want them all sorted according to the number of bases identity. How do I get BLAST to do this sorting and which parameters should I choose? I think I can do this by adjusting the word size to 15, but Blastn insists on adjusting my search parameters for "short sequences". I think I should ramp up the match/mismatch costs to 4/-5 to achieve only matches with complete homology - is that right? Again Blast adjusts this.

Also is this a reasonable way of deciding if I get off-target annealing, or are there other/better ways to do this?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Last edited by LeserattePD; 04-15-2012 at 06:03 AM.
LeserattePD is offline   Reply With Quote