No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOAP on Mac Pro

Hi

I am trying to run SOAP on a Mac Pro 2 × quad-core 2.8 GHz machine. When I try to run soap I get the following error:

>soap -a reads.fastq -d ref.txt -o soap.out
    Start at: Mon Aug 11 13:51:22 2008

Load in 1 db seqs, total size 117080 bp. 0 secs passed
    total_kmers: 1048576
    Create seed table. 0 secs passed
    Single read alignment:
    Query: reads.fastq Reference: ref.txt Output: soap.out
    Segmentation fault

I have emailed with the SOAP authors and was told that SOAP cannot be run on my machine because it's only 32 bit and that I should try it on a 64 bit machine. But I'm fairly certain the new Mac Pros are 64 bit - and I don't have access to another machine. I have been playing around with the -arch in the makefile but haven't found an option that solves my problem.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and found a way around it?

I think I got "segmentation fault" once when the input file (sequences) was not formatted correctly, perhaps it does not recognize fastq format? Try to convert it to fasta instead.

Comment

Thanks - I tried it but still get the same error.

Comment

There is an alternative to SOAP available on the Mac OS , you can get it at http://www.novocraft.com/downloads/download.html

I've run it successfully on my Macbook Pro.

Comment

Im having exact the same problem with SOAP on my MacBook Pro. But the Novoalign software works OK.

Comment

Building 64bit Software on Mac OS X

Unless you are actually running Linux on your Mac Pro, you will need to add -m64 to the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS (if C++ source) and LDFLAGS for the standard toolchain (i.e. the one you install from the XCode package) to produce 64 bit executables and objects.

Also of importance: only in 10.5 aka Leopard are all libraries in 64 bit format, in 10.4 everything but the system libraries (libc, libstdc++) is 32bit only i.e. libbz2.

Greetings,
            Thomas Jahns
            Last edited by tjahns; 08-12-2008, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks tjahns. I think your recommendation is what I need. I am working in Leopard - 10.5.4 and I have XCode installed. How do I add the -m64? Could you please give detailed instructions?

Also - I have installed Novocraft and also have it running on my machine.

Thanks all!

Comment

You should edit makefile and modify the FLAGS line to:

FLAGS= -static -DMAXGAP=3 -DMAXHITS=10000 -DTHREAD -O3 -m64

However, I do not think this is caused by -m64. SOAP is expected to work with 32-bit machines. I guess SOAP's random crashes are due to hidden bugs. I would recommend to use novocraft. It is a lot better in my own opinion.

Comment

Thanks. I had tried that previously and still got the same error. Although I had to change the -static to -dynamiclib to get it to make.

Comment

The recommendation by lh3 is correct. But since the authors of SOAP do not distinguish CC from CXX and the diverse types of *FLAGS from one another, they probably lack the necessary experience to write POSIX conformant software. That means you would probably have to compile the program with -g and load it in gdb to analyze the problem. But I wouldn't recommend that unless you are relatively well versed in programming and debugging.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses