No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ribosomal RNA depletion

Hello,
    I'm using Epicentre Ribo-Zero kit for removal of rRNA from Drosophila. I checked RNA on Agilent, before and after depletion, and I observed a picture that seems strange for me (attached). A lot of small RNAs that do not seem to be present in the initial sample and nothing that looks like mRNA peak (it should be about 1000-2000 nt, I guess).
    What is your opinion, is it normal?
    Attached Files

Hi,

Drosophila is not the best substrate for Ribo-Zero, but it does work (see attached data). Not all rRNA species are readily removed, but if you do a Google Scholar search under "Ribo-Zero" and "Drosophila" there are at least one or two papers that cite this combination.

Here's an example:

Kumar et al. BMC Research Notes 2012, 5:230

I hope this is helpful.

Olaf
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello MLog,

How is the alignment result for above samples, I mean the % of sequencing reads mapped to rRNA?

Thanks for the sharing,
      Wei

Comment

Originally posted by weigrc View Post
        Hello MLog,

How is the alignment result for above samples, I mean the % of sequencing reads mapped to rRNA?

Thanks for the sharing,
        Wei
        Hi Wei,
        not as good as I wish, actually - about 30-40%. Next time I did double depletion and it worked much better, with ~ 7% mapped ro rRNA.

Comment

Hello MLog,

For the 1st depletion, do you think less input of the total RNA can help to reduce the 30-40% mapped rRNA??

What is your input amount of the total RNA?

Thanks,
          Wei

Comment

Originally posted by weigrc View Post
            Hello MLog,

For the 1st depletion, do you think less input of the total RNA can help to reduce the 30-40% mapped rRNA??

What is your input amount of the total RNA?

Thanks,
            Wei
            I usually take 1-3 micrograms of total RNA. With human and bacterial RNA it worked well - less than 1% of reads mapped to rRNA. Probably for Drosophila it's worth trying to take less.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses