Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STACKS and PE Illumina Data (ddRAD)

I have a dataset from a ddRAD library (Illumina HiSeq4K, 150PE). I'm playing around with STACKS, and noticed that it has some limitations when dealing with paired-end data from ddRAD datasets.

Namely, it treats them as separate/independent loci.

This seems like a problem from a population genomic point of view, since there is a base assumption (admittedly often violated) of independence between loci. If we have paired data (single-reads and paired-end ("PE") reads), we know that those two loci aren't at all likely to be independent.

What I have done so far is demultiplex individuals' data based on inline barcode sequence(s) and give a rough quality filter (sliding-window 15%, min quality score = 10). So I'm left with four files for each individual:

One file of SE reads and one file of PE reads, in-phase (where both reads from the same fragment/cluster were kept and not discarded).

One file of SE reads, whose PE counterpart has been discarded.

One file of PE reads, whose SE counterpart has been discarded.

Only one or the other read - SE or PE - needs to have a SNP. The other read can be discarded. Can STACKS keep track of this? Can it go through assembly and SNP-calling and keep track of header-titles, and use that information to figure out what those sequence pairs are?

Or is that information lost? (I suspect that for the remainders - the latter two files described - it would be quite difficult to recover that information...)

Alternatively, is it worth throwing caution to the wind and using the SE and PE reads and throwing all of those data together at the end? Is there another approach here?

Many thanks,
    Sean

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses