SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flow cells Shaia Suki Wong General 7 02-17-2016 07:02 AM
Fast flow cells and Allpaths troendle Bioinformatics 3 10-31-2013 11:16 AM
the oligonucleotide sequences of P7 and P5 on paired-end flow cells lhemivw Illumina/Solexa 0 08-20-2010 01:52 AM

Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Shaia Suki Wong

Red face Cheapest platform in terms of consumables (flow cells)

If I had the choice of platforms (dont need to buy anything new) what would be the cheapest in terms of consumables to do a run? Is Illumina the cheapest with their flow cells? How does that stack up against Ion Torrent or Pac Bio and other newer players? Thank you!
Shaia Suki Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
GenoMax

That question does not make much sense since none of the technologies mentioned use interchangeable reagents/consumables.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
Shaia Suki Wong

That's exactly my question! Sorry if it wasn't clear. I can choose what machine to use I just need to buy each of the platform's reagents but wondering what would be cheapest? For example is an Illumina kit and flowcell cheaper than Ion Torrent's consumables? I don't need to know exactly, I'm sure as you mention there's some differences in prices.
Shaia Suki Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
GenoMax

The output from every platform (e.g. volume, length, error profile) differs widely. Even if you were going to ignore all those factors you should at least consider cost per base as a common denominator in making your choice rather than just cost of consumables.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
AllSeq
Registered Vendor

As stated by GenoMax, while your question "Which platform has the cheapest cost per run?" may have an answer, that answer won't really mean very much. People usually compare platforms by cost/sample or cost/Gb. The real answer would really depend on the application you want to run. But if you're just trying to win a trivia content, Illumina's HiSeq X Ten would be cheapest per Gb, while the Ion PGM 314 would probably be cheapest per (very tiny) run. At some point soon the MinION might be cheaper "per run" (if they start charging per min used), but then the definition of 'run' becomes very hazy.

We have most list prices for platform runs in our NGS Knowledge Bank - feel free to check it out.
AllSeq is offline   Reply With Quote