SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Variance Estimation KellerMac Bioinformatics 13 02-18-2013 01:07 AM
Sequencing for PCR products of different sizes deepakpatilp Illumina/Solexa 0 10-25-2010 07:15 AM
HiSeq 2000 File Sizes E_Klee Illumina/Solexa 3 09-28-2010 11:16 AM
insert sizes nozzer Bioinformatics 1 07-09-2010 05:49 AM
Eland for different sizes doxologist Bioinformatics 15 02-14-2009 09:34 AM

Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
minhduc

Default Variance of fragment sizes

Hi every one,

In PE sequencing, is it possible to control over the fragment/insert size variance? For example, can one prepare a library so that the fragment/insert sizes do not vary much?

Thanks
MD
minhduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
JPC

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. We use AmPure bead size selection here on 2ug of sheared DNA and it gives a reasonably tight range. To narrow it down I would try using more DNA.

If this isn't good enough for you I would suggest loading plenty of sheared DNA onto a 0.5% agarose gel, running it out a long way and excising a small section.

The only other thing I can think of is PCR but obviously this would only be suitable if you are sequencing a pretty tiny region.

JPC
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
minhduc

Hi JPC,

Thank so much for your answer. I myself do not work directly with a sequencer and hence, honestly do not understand most of what you said, but I get what you meant.

Get down to numbers. I have several short read libs with fragment size mean 200bp and standard deviation 25. If I want to get another dataset with standard deviation of say 10, is it much harder or does it require much more DNA/chemical/cost?

Cheers,
MD
minhduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
JPC

A SD of 25 bp is pretty good really, we don't get better than that very often and it wouldn't really befit us to try.

If your libraries have plenty of material then trying to run them out on an agarose gel is probably a good way to go. Any genetics lab would have the equipment and skills you need and it would cost a few $ per sample at most. How much DNA you recover from this will depend on how big a slice you take out of the gel. You might want to take several slices to avoid losing library.

Here is alink to the Qiagen kit that we use for extracting DNA from agarose gel;
http://www.qiagen.com/products/dnacl...t.aspx#Tabs=t0

JC
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote