Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastX Quality Score format

I've just been revisiting differences in quality scores between different fastq format (re-reading Cock et. al. 2010 Nucleic Acids Research - what a MESS Illumina has made of the fastq format).

In any case, perhaps I am missing something but am trying to figure out how FastX-Toolkit (I'm using version fastx_toolkit-0.0.13.tar.bz2) is both reading in, scoring, and filtering on quality scores (ie., is it using solexa_fastq, sanger_fastq, illuminav1.3+_fastq quality scores or can it handle all). When plotting out the graph of quality scores, you get a range from -15 to 45 which corresponds to a range of 60 but doesn't seem to correspond to any of these published fastq formats ?*&!. Since this is 2010 and we've been using Illumina 1.3+ for some time now and I've read here on SEQ-ANSWERS that the first two quality scores (0,1) are not included so the range for Illumina 1.3+ quality scores is really 60, I'm assuming that FastX is both reading in and filtering on Illumina pipeline v1.3+ fastq format quality scores. I'd feel better though is someone else could confirm!

Thanks!
    Last edited by kbushley; 09-04-2010, 11:40 AM.

Below the answer I got for a similar problem from Assaf Gordon In my case this was the solution, you may have to change the assci offset accordingly
    Cheers,
    Stephane

Code:
    Hi Stéphane,

There is an undocumented argument "-Q" that determines the input quality ASCII offset (33 or 64 or other).

The program (every program in the fastx-toolkit) knows  automatically to detect ASCII or numeric values.
    If it sees ASCII characters, it subtract 64 for the ASCII value.

So for example, the character 'a' (ASCII code 97) is converted to value 33 (97-64).

If you need a different ASCII offset (e.g. 33 instead of 64), you can use the (undocumented) argument "-Q", as so:

$ fastx_quality_stats -Q 33 -i INPUT.txt -o OUTPUT.txt

you'll need version 0.0.10 or later for the "-Q" argument.

-Gordon.
    http://www.bits.vib.be/index.php

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses