SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-Seq quantitation for human, paired end vs single end, strand specific or not? Justin AC Powell RNA Sequencing 5 01-28-2016 02:57 AM
Paired-end strand specific RNA-seq dekontrol RNA Sequencing 2 10-07-2012 12:22 AM
.wig files for strand-specific paired-end RNA-Seq ulitskyi RNA Sequencing 4 06-13-2012 12:27 AM
SHRiMP and Cufflinks for strand-specific SOLiD bacteria RNA Seq questions pjorth Bioinformatics 0 05-17-2011 01:45 PM
What is this strand specific pair-end RNA-seq data? xhuister Bioinformatics 2 09-14-2010 07:34 AM

Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
Name_less_

Default Questions about small RNA-seq (single-end and strand-specific)

Hello everyone!
I'm new analyzing transcriptomic.
I have small RNA-seq data, single-end from Rat.
Initially, I mapped the data with Bowtie with next command:

bowtie -p 50 --mm -n 0 --best --strata -m 1 /media/stdata/bowtie1_index/rn6/rn6_bw1 -q $each_file\.fastq -S $each_file\_n0_m1.sam

** -n 0 and -m 1, because we are probing parameters.

After, I noticed that the kit to make library was "TruSeq® Small RNA Library".
Reading in the web, I found that:

"For example, the Illumina TruSeq small RNA sample preparation kit produces strand-specific libraries. The kit specifically selects the RNA species that have a monophosphate group at its 5′-end and a hydroxyl group at 3′-end, a typical structure for miRNAs."
LINK: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/.../nat.2012.0367

Then, I think that bowtie also must have option for strand-specific.
Considering that the data is single-end and default is --fr, Must I need to add option for strand-specific?

If so, what options are they?
I found:

--fr/--rf/--ff -1, -2 mates align fw/rev, rev/fw, fw/fw (default: --fr)
--nofw/--norc do not align to forward/reverse-complement reference strand

But I have single end, so I think is necessary to use "--nofw/--norc", but I'm confused which one to choose.
Name_less_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #2
Opplatek

Hi Name_less_,

You don't say if you do a genomic alignment to you map directly to a smallRNA database(s).
In case you do genomic alignment you should not use --nofw/--norc for the Bowtie alignment as you would disallow alignment to the - strand of the genome. Instead, you should use strand-specific counting afterward (for example in FeatureCounts option -s 1).
If you do database (miRBase, piRBase, ...) you should use the --nofw/--norc option because you assume the sequences in the database are already in the same direction as they could be found in the organism.
Opplatek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single-end reads, srna, strand-specific