No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miRNA proportion in mir-seq

Hi All,

I received an Illumina HiSeq output on human mirna-seq and after trimming the adapters and alignment to the genome I realized that only 30% of my reads align to miRNAs while other 70% are tRNA,rRNA and other small RNAs.

I was wondering whether this miRNA proportion is normal?

Thanks!

Hi,

Did you collapse identical sequences (you should not...)? How did you size-selected your RNA? Which tissues is it from (piRNA are abundant in the germline)?

Comment

No, I didn't collapse and it is from breast tissue (tumor and normal).

Size selection? What do you mean?
      If you mean the library preparation from total RNA, I don't know.

Thanks!

Comment

The protocol for smallRNA-Seq is not the same as for "classical" RNA-Seq, with the aim of purifying the sample from long RNA and enriching for "smallRNA". At one point, we do run a gel and select for the appropriate size (that might be fly-specific, because there is a very abundant 30nt rRNA in Drosophila).

Other users' input would be useful here!

Comment

Yes, the protocol for small RNA library preparation was followed. The small RNA where isolated for sure and sequenced. But this low proportion of miRNA in my data is what I am not sure about, is it normal? and if not, where can be the problem?

Thank you

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses