Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• merging many bam files-novice needs help please

I have 152 coordinate sorted bam files. I want to merge them. I have tried both Samtools merge and Picard. I used Samtools merge before on some different data and it worked but I don't think that data was coordinate sorted and that might make a difference. The command I am trying to use is

samtools merge /out.bam /path_to_file/*.bam

I want it to merge all the files in that folder. I don't get a specific error but it prints out the samtools merge usage parameters. So I guess I am missing something in my command. The following is what I have done so far in my pipeline:

1. aligned with bowtie 2 (output sam)
    2. sorted individual sam files output to individual bam files

The end goal is to use GATK for variant analysis. According to http://seqanswers.com/wiki/How-to/exome_analysis, I need to put some kind of -r argument in Samtools when I am processing to add an @rq (or something like that).

I am lost at this moment and I have searched and searched to try and find an answer on the forums.

Hi Shawpa,
    As an aside, you don't need to merge the bam files when calling the UnifiedGenotyper, you can use multiple -I parameters. Note that you can expect compute time to increase in a non-linear fashion when doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by shawpa View Post
      samtools merge /out.bam /path_to_file/*.bam
      If this is the precise command you used, you may get better results from removing the initita forward slashes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses