No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• log2FoldChange in DESeq2

Hello,
    I have some trouble understanding how the log2FoldChange is calculated in DESeq2? Assuming that the full model is ~ AF + Condition, I'm interested in the log2FoldChange of the raw counts with respect to the covariate Condition (which is a factor with two levels).
    I was under the impression that its calculated as the log2 of the ratio of mean of the normalized counts in the two levels. However, this is not what I get from DESeq2. Could someone please give me a hint on how these values are actually calculated?
    Or is there a way I can get an estimate (or values close the log2FoldChange obtained from DESeq2) without using DESeq2?
    Thanks,
    Golsheed

Are you looking at the moderated fold changes or the unshrunken MLEs? See section 1.4.1:
    The Bioconductor project aims to develop and share open source software for precise and repeatable analysis of biological data. We foster an inclusive and collaborative community of developers and data scientists.

You may want to do something like this to get the actual log2FoldChange values:
    Code:
    resMLE <- results(dds, addMLE=T)

Comment

In a previous thread, I answered one of your questions with " log2FoldChange with betaPrior=FALSE .... is the log2 ratio of the mean of normalized counts"

The default is to use a prior on the log2 fold change and give an estimate using the posterior distribution of log2 fold change.

See the paper for full details:

...or check the help files: ?nbinomWaldTest.

If you use betaPrior=FALSE, then no beta prior is used. If you use addMLE=TRUE as fanli suggests, then a beta prior is used, but a column is added to the results table which gives the unshrunken estimate of log2 fold change which is mean(normalized counts)/mean(normalized counts). See ?results for full details on this.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses