SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost/run on HiSeq 2500 Zimbobo Illumina/Solexa 32 01-13-2014 06:54 AM
Illumina Hiseq 2500 Available For Sale. kcacdna Illumina/Solexa 0 11-25-2013 09:07 PM
Hiseq 2500 and LIMS is not compatible well! ychang Illumina/Solexa 1 08-07-2013 09:50 AM
HiSeq 2500 kwaraska Illumina/Solexa 0 05-30-2013 08:52 AM
Concerns for combining data from HiSeq 2000 and HiSeq 2500 jaaker Illumina/Solexa 1 02-04-2013 03:56 PM

Old 06-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
beetle_doc

Default Constant issues with the HiSeq 2500

We have had a HiSeq 2000/2500 since 2011 that breaks down quite frequently. This round of issues has been going on since around February. It started with no intensity on read 2 of high output runs and on read 1 of rapid runs. Thinking this might be a fluidics issue most of the iines wet swapped out. This seemed to fix the problem for about a month. Now I am experiencing the same thing and am getting tilt motor errors as well. I think Illumina thinks I am doing something intentionally because they sent an FAS this week to review wash procedures. Off the top of my head, I have had 2 hard drives, a monitor, the FC stage, countless solenoids, most of the lines and a chiller replaced and numerous adjustments to the optics, laser, and tilt motors. I am beginning to wonder if I am not cursed. I am just wondering if others have continuous issues with their HiSeqs? It sure would make me feel better knowing that I am not alone.
beetle_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
ECO
--Site Admin--

I've had this experience, also with a very early upgraded 2000-->2500. Lots of small parts replacements...then the hard drives, then the RAM (!!), then the computer. Just had the FIRST trouble-free run on this machine since it was installed. Our other instruments (including one upgraded one) have been almost bulletproof right out of the crate.

Luckily we have a significant number of instruments so they don't blame us for techniques or sample prep.

This is a really difficult situation for everyone, I think Illumina needs to be better about it when the instrument is a lemon. The truth is even their largest customers don't have much leverage.

Stay strong. Illumina really does have the best service in the industry if that's any solace...
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Bukowski

I think people who don't run these machine underestimate how much downtime there can actually be on a single machine. If you want to run uninterrupted, you need at least two machines!
Bukowski is offline   Reply With Quote